When does the negotiations get to the economics/pay?

542thruNthru

Supposedly they're talking about starting new hires between $13-$15 an hour which would mean current loaders and unloaders still making starting pay would go up to at least $13-15 and as for other employees such as myself who is currently making $11.50 as a sorter I may end up with $15-$18 but the rumor is that the new hires will start at $13-$15 while all other employees stay at their current pay rate which in turn will cause hubs to go on strike because I know nobody will let newbies come in making more than the rest of us and expect us to be ok with some new idiot who probably wont make it get paid more than us I've already heard people talk about going on strike of that bs happens

What will happen is you will go up to the same pay as a new hire. You won't be paid less then them.

Moneythehardway

That will suck for those of us who've been here 8 to 10 years who are just getting over the $15 hour and a bunch of newbies come in from day 1 making the same thing. Give us part timers with time in some kind of boost.

M

MenInBrown

That will suck for those of us who've been here 8 to 10 years who are just getting over the $15 hour and a bunch of newbies come in from day 1 making the same thing. Give us part timers with time in some kind of boost.

That does suck, but remember this, we are all in this together. Think about what you are doing for future employees that will help pay your pension. The guys that worked here 30 years ago made progress for us today and we must do the same.

That does suck, but remember this, we are all in this together. Think about what you are doing for future employees that will help pay your pension. The guys that worked here 30 years ago made progress for us today and we must do the same.
Please elaborate on what progress was made over those 30 years. And then please describe what losses can occur because of a strike. And who will incur those losses.

Blackstream

The last contract boosted my pay up to the minimum for my seniority too, and it's looking like this contract is gonna boost everyone up to about my level again. It's kind of a sad contract if our raises are so bad, they can't even outpace the starting wage hikes.

PT Car Washer

The last contract boosted my pay up to the minimum for my seniority too, and it's looking like this contract is gonna boost everyone up to about my level again. It's kind of a sad contract if our raises are so bad, they can't even outpace the starting wage hikes.
One of the benefits for working at a Union job (and paying monthly dues) was the superior wages and benefits. Not so anymore.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
One of the benefits for working at a Union job (and paying monthly dues) was the superior wages and benefits. Not so anymore.

I would agree with that to a certain extent. Now, you have to be more deliberate

about understanding the principal of delayed gratification. The opportunity is there

for those that are willing to wait and pay their dues. (so to speak)

Part-time wages need to be addressed, no doubt. Waiting a year for insurance

is a tough one. How many people under 25 would even use it ? With such a high

turnover rate, it's not because of wage and benefits only that causes people

to give up. For those that have never done physical work before....

UPS is overwhelming.

Next time you see them bring in a tour group of people looking for a job,

notice the applicants. The skinny kid wearing a shirt and tie.. the fat kid

who is 5'7'' and 280 lbs.. the more mature person.. who has had a job before.

One is going to be a supe, one will be a Union Member, the rest will

fall by the wayside..... rather quick. I know who I'm betting on.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Throughout the 90’s, it was 1 out of six will stay.

In my area, the turnover rate has hovered at 85% for 15 years.

Smaller outlying centers, are a different dynamic.

I constantly get asked if I can get someones kid on at UPS.

Politely, I tell them they must go though the same process as everyone else.

Did it once.... and never again.

Smaller outlying centers, are a different dynamic.

I constantly get asked if I can get someones kid on at UPS.

Politely, I tell them they must go though the same process as everyone else.

Did it once.... and never again.
Didn’t know you worked in H R.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Out here outside of the Brown bubble the benefits most places are still inferior to what we get. How about $3000 deductibles and $25.copays ? I just came from an insurance meeting at my FT job. My $64.00 dues per month look pretty good.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
With the retention being bad (at least in our area) and companies like Amazon paying some benefits to pt'ers after 90 days, we may see the waiting period be shortened. Although I do not believe any companies have the scope of benefits UPS pt'ers enjoy.

35years

Gravy route

Since only 15% will stay more than a year, why is the national negotiating committee focusing on better starting wages and benefits?
These are people who will not be long term UPS employees, nor long term Teamsters.
Yet I am repeatedly told they will be the main focus for monetary issues this contract.

Yes shorten progression, yes increase pt wages, but focus on long term employees, not short term kids who will quit after 3 months anyway, at the expense of making the pensions secure and cutting forced OT.

I think the Union leadership did not listen at all to our priorities, but instead sees that UPS had to sweeten the pot to attract new employees anyways, so it will be an easy "victory" to claim in this new contract.

Meanwhile our pensions sink, and we work 70 hour weeks Nov. and Dec.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Since only 15% will stay more than a year, why is the national negotiating committee focusing on better starting wages and benefits?
These are people who will not be long term UPS employees, nor long term Teamsters.
Yet I am repeatedly told they will be the main focus for monetary issues this contract.

Yes shorten progression, yes increase pt wages, but focus on long term employees, not short term kids who will quit after 3 months anyway, at the expense of making the pensions secure and cutting forced OT.

I think the Union leadership did not listen at all to our priorities, but instead sees that UPS had to sweeten the pot to attract new employees anyways, so it will be an easy "victory" to claim in this new contract.

Meanwhile our pensions sink, and we work 70 hour weeks Nov. and Dec.

I think maybe the thought is that they will stick around if wages improved. I'm sure many of the old-timers would have gone somewhere else if wages were substandard whne they started.

My starting OT wage was $.50 higher than another sorter who had started 8 years before me. That's why the quality of the part-time employees has dropped considerably.