When does the negotiations get to the economics/pay?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not saying It's the hardest job in the world because it isn't. But i wouldn't exactly call it easy, i nearly quit after i got in because it's difficult. Maybe it's
because i'm a cover driver bouncing from route to route.

I came here after serving 8 years in the military. This is much more difficult.

And by the way, any good ol’ boy can go and take a test and get a job in ups management... they asked me in 98 but I turned it down for many reasons....there really must have been something wrong with you to be turned down 3 times for it... which really could explain your behavior on this site 99% of the time....
Good ol’ boys don’t do well on tests.

Heavy Package

The issue i see with part timers and even young drivers is no one wants to work. Everyone wants to do the least amount of effort they can and it's pathetic. We're regularly over staffed at my center and guys willingly go home 2-3 days a week.

It's so true. Old timers look at the dispatch and then either take a day or get a cover driver. Cover drivers look at the dispatch and they are fine with a layoff day.

I'll say it over and over again this contract period - There are many areas of the country that we just are treated like crap and have way, way too much work. Not enough work? No problem. Where I am we have had amazon delivering along with a bunch of new last mile people for the past 18 months. UPS IE cuts routes to the bone and spreads you out like a $20 hooker. Every car goes out gut loaded no matter what. Over staffed? No one wants to do this job anyway. All are fine working 2-4 days a week with the way things are now.

RealPerson

Close but inaccurate. The company doesn’t dictate what they have to give. The union will actually go over the finances and negotiate the sum. That sum will be split mostly by the union. You say drivers make too much, drivers will always get a good raise for 2 reasons. #1 We vote. And #2 the IBT income is dependent upon our wage calculated at 2.5-3x the hourly wage. So no raise, no more income for the IBT. WE WILL ALWAYS GET A RAISE!

Part time is also calculated the same way!
The union makes the same off a part timer, and a full timer.
Now, FT starts at a higher wage, correct, so.....
Start part timers at a higher wage and the union gets more $$$$

Delivered

Teamcare has seen a 13% increase in assets. UPSers in the plan now pays an annual deductible (started in 2018) so why would the union not request additional money from ups during negotiations for health & welfare so

brown_trousers

So if the economic issues are negotiated at the very end, will we get an update on non-economic issues sometime in the near future? It would be nice to see something other than a wish list from the teamsters and UPS

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can someone from NYC / LA / Etc. respond on what they think of the current pay rate? Is it a decent wage or is it peanuts for cost of living? What can you get with $100k / yr?

Or... is it good for the people who have lived there 20-30 years and had a house before the bubbles, etc. and now the new guys are screwed and think its peanuts?
In Northern Va it's enough to live on but that's about it. Median income around here is over 100k, a decent size family house will set you back about 500k. A lot of guys live out in the sticks and commute an hour+ to work every day just so they can afford a nice house. I'm just hanging on til retirement so I can get the hell outta here.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Part time is also calculated the same way!
The union makes the same off a part timer, and a full timer.
Now, FT starts at a higher wage, correct, so.....
Start part timers at a higher wage and the union gets more $$$$
I agree. But since drivers vote and part time don’t, to give it all to the PT ranks will never pass.

trickpony1

I came here after serving 8 years in the military. This is much more difficult.

If your leadership skills were so good, why didn't you make a career out of the Army? 12 more years and you could retire and be a center manager in the BOG....

I know...you and the ex didn't want the military life for the kids....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If your leadership skills were so good, why didn't you make a career out of the Army? 12 more years and you could retire and be a center manager in the BOG....

I know...you and the ex didn't want the military life for the kids....

Air Force.

I didn't mind military life; in fact, I was promoted on a more frequent basis than most and had I stayed I know I would have at least made SMS, if not CMS.

My ex's Dad was a lifer and she did not want our kids to grow up as military brats.

She did confide to our son that she felt about making me separate from the service; truth be told, the move was probably the best thing for us in the long run.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Air Force.

I didn't mind military life; in fact, I was promoted on a more frequent basis than most and had I stayed I know I would have at least made SMS, if not CMS.

My ex's Dad was a lifer and she did not want our kids to grow up as military brats.

She did confide to our son that she felt about making me separate from the service; truth be told, the move was probably the best thing for us in the long run.
My high school class not long ago was a big air force class.
All the girls I hung out with went into the air force...