When does the negotiations get to the economics/pay?

Delivered

Ups saves (pension) money over those 5 years. Uses savings for pay and benefits. Possibly retaining part timers. If a part timer quits before 5 years and not vested, the money stays in pension unused by that employee.
Part-timers in the Company pension plan, and with the amount of turnover (before vesting) it's nearly always 100% funded.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
$80K to drop a package at someone's front door is more than adequate.
you don’t get to decide that... I could say the same thing for a multitude of jobs out there... like I said, this isn’t 1988 anymore 80k then and 80k now are totally different amounts and purchasing power levels...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

you don’t get to decide that... I could say the same thing for a multitude of jobs out there... like I said, this isn’t 1988 anymore 80k then and 80k now are totally different amounts and purchasing power levels...

You really need to get over yourself.

You drive a tractor with a couple of trailers hooked up behind it. Any good old boy can go to TTS and learn to do the same thing.

You think the boys at Swift wouldn't give their left nut to make upward of $100K to do the same job that they are currently doing for 1/3 to 1/2?

Your false sense of entitlement amuses me.

Heavy Package

Can someone from NYC / LA / Etc. respond on what they think of the current pay rate? Is it a decent wage or is it peanuts for cost of living? What can you get with $100k / yr?

Or... is it good for the people who have lived there 20-30 years and had a house before the bubbles, etc. and now the new guys are screwed and think its peanuts?

MC0493

Irks me when top rate guys say they're over paid. Come down to my level at $19.50 and then tell me how it is. I live too close to NYC apparently as I could still barely afford to live on my own given the current rent around here. $1000-1500 a month plus utilities.

The issue i see with part timers and even young drivers is no one wants to work. Everyone wants to do the least amount of effort they can and it's pathetic. We're regularly over staffed at my center and guys willingly go home 2-3 days a week. Then come in Saturday to make easy money. I keep trying to work Saturday to get extra money but i can't due to these guys.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

You drive a tractor with a couple of trailers hooked up behind it. Any good old boy can go to TTS and learn to do the same thing.

You think the boys at Swift wouldn't give their left nut to make upward of $100K to do the same job that they are currently doing for 1/3 to 1/2?

This has nothing to do with just me :censored2:....but the whole working group of people in general... pay hasn’t been raised for years while everything else has gone through the roof NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE... and by the way, you might be surprised to see how much money swift drivers make who have been on the job for a few years....you need to stop being a mgt suck up...they get theirs... the average employee trying to get by can get their share also... nothing wrong with that!

MC0493

$19.50/hr is too low.

$25-28/hr would be an equitable top rate for a job that requires only a valid drivers license and HS diploma.
Not sure I'd stay on board if that was max pay. Pay is high since this job is not easy physically or mentally. By the time guys retire their bodies are usually pretty worn out. It's not exactly a cushy office job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure I'd stay on board if that was max pay. Pay is high since this job is not easy physically or mentally. By the time guys retire their bodies are usually pretty worn out. It's not exactly a cushy office job.

No, it's not, but if we want to keep up with our competitors we need to address the wage inequity.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

And by the way, any good ol’ boy can go and take a test and get a job in ups management... they asked me in 98 but I turned it down for many reasons....there really must have been something wrong with you to be turned down 3 times for it... which really could explain your behavior on this site 99% of the time....

Heavy Package

No, it's not, but if we want to keep up with our competitors we need to address the wage inequity.

What is the stop count or productivity out of these other people? You throw them the keys to one of our PC's with 180 stops and 15 pick ups and see how fast these other people would run for the door. Oh - and your hours are 9am to 9pm every day. LMFAO.

PT Car Washer

Not a cushy job, but also not the hardest or most difficult job in the world either. Try being a roofer or construction work or concrete work. The high driver pay rate is subsidized by the low PT pay rate and most drivers know this. One of the biggest reasons for not increasing the starting PT pay.

MC0493

I'm not saying It's the hardest job in the world because it isn't. But i wouldn't exactly call it easy, i nearly quit after i got in because it's difficult. Maybe it's
because i'm a cover driver bouncing from route to route.