Amazon raises its minimum wage to $15 an hour

bacha29

It may not be real news on the UPS browncafe headlines. But it should absolutely be on the competition and Industry web tab of the upsers.com website.

Somehow the Amazon $15 an hour story is so powerful that it completely wiped out every single story on the corporate competition and industry news portion of the UPS website. Imagine that!
But did you see what Bezos and the boys did this AM? Yes, they raised the company minimum wage to $15 BUT they eliminated the monthly bonus plan as well as the stock awards program. Give you a small increase here but take it all and sometimes more back some place else.

mikejonesjr

If they are making nothing per hour, which they are not I’d agree.

They have the best insurance and a pension, Amazon matching that? Doubtful. They also have the ability to jump into a career making 5,000 dollars a month starting out, take home pay. Amazon isn’t offering that either.

No offense to part timers, I don’t give a :censored2: how much you make while you’re doing grunt work, I did it for 5 years and made less than you.

My main concern is driving jobs, it’s all I’m voting for and I see it in danger. I’ll fight for part timers by trying to maintain what has been handed down to me, opportunity. If they don’t have the initiative to go driving, this probably isn’t a job to raise a family on unless you plan on having two jobs and are here for the insurance.
No amazon doesnt have as good insurance or pension but we also pay union dues and you would think the union job would pay more, guess not. Majority doesnt get a pension or even use the insurance anyways. Also I also know our work is harder compared to the amazon jobs.

And ya bla bla saying anything about pay for pters having something to do with being able to one day make full scale driver pay is irrelevant to that argument. Supervisors just got raises, they werent told "Well just move up in management and make $100k." No they get paid according to their job and nothing to do with taking any other job

El Correcto

god is dead
No amazon doesnt have as good insurance or pension but we also pay union dues and you would think the union job would pay more, guess not. Majority doesnt get a pension or even use the insurance anyways. Also I also know our work is harder compared to the amazon jobs.

And ya bla bla saying anything about pay for pters having something to do with being able to one day make full scale driver pay is irrelevant to that argument. Supervisors just got raises, they werent told "Well just move up in management and make $100k." No they get paid according to their job and nothing to do with taking any other job
I’d say you are paid according to your job. It’s not nearly as hard you make it out to be and you work at a union pace if you’re smart. Did it for 5 years.

Phillip J Fry

sobbing between stops
My supervisor said that if we go on strike I can hide in the back of his Subaru and sneak in the warehouse. Then I could deliver as many stops as I wanted at $15/hr wearing a sombrero, fake mustache and a slick wool poncho.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
ggi36n4.png

Sum Gai

Some of the comments in this thread and other threads about why part timers shouldn't be paid more have been so amusing I had to create an account. “Part timers shouldn't be paid that much because of how easy their job is” arguments get me the most.

All my fears about how hard driving would be faded once I actually became a driver. The best thing about UPS is how much money you can make having no notable skills, talents, or intelligence as a UPS driver. Learning to use a diad, drive trucks, or deliver packages is so easy a chump off the street can be taught to do so in under a month. People are right to be afraid of being undercut by 22.4 drivers because the job requires so few skills drivers are easily replaceable. The hardest parts of being a driver is finding poorly labeled addresses, learning routes, and maneuvering certain boxes to certain places. Some days my brain goes on autopilot because how routine all of it is.

The purpose of the union is to improve the standard of living for the workers no matter if part time or full time. If it can't do that or can only do it for a group of workers its a terrible union.

Last edited:

Hethatbeking

UPS would love to save money and compensate its part timers the same amount as Amazon.
Yeah. There's no denying that the health & welfare package makes part time work at UPS an attractive option (particularly if your driving) in comparison to Amazon. Not having single payer healthcare coverage makes it so easy for the company and the union to continously use it as leverage against the workers. Perfect partnership.

browned out

Go to your UPSer.com page and click on Contract Voting 101 Competitive and Industry News. Every single time I clicked on that previously; there was a plethora of UPS or competitors of UPS news and info. For some odd reason; every single story (100's of stories) has been wiped out. The link leads to a page with no information on it. The timing of this disappearing act is very suspicious at best. Misinformation and hiding of information by UPS continues.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Come on ups and you piece of garbage lying corrupt Hoffa Teamsters. Amazon leads and we follow yet again. $15 an hour and catch up raises for all UPS part-timers.
How about $18.00 UPS lets make a statement and blow amazon and fed ex (no competition) away. Good people are out there.

RealPerson

But did you see what Bezos and the boys did this AM? Yes, they raised the company minimum wage to $15 BUT they eliminated the monthly bonus plan as well as the stock awards program. Give you a small increase here but take it all and sometimes more back some place else.
Yeah, I am still waiting on my UPS Stock and Bonus for FREE...
So, yeah Amazon is still paying more than UPS for part timers. Heck several places are.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why??? UPS is making record Profits.
I would rather people stay and have UPS pay into the pension for each person. Kinda how the scheme works....
Because they aren't going to give a 50% raise.

Also how many part timers under 26 give two :censored2:s about healthcare or pensions?

Pretty much everything but loading the truck can be automated in the part time side of things. Could price themselves out of a job.

MAKAVELI

Because they aren't going to give a 50% raise.

Also how many part timers under 26 give two :censored2:s about healthcare or pensions?

Pretty much everything but loading the truck can be automated in the part time side of things. Could price themselves out of a job.
Driverless vehicles will be in the not to distant future. We are all fcked.