Amazon raises its minimum wage to $15 an hour

browned out

WOW;

This must be a glitch on www.upsers.com Their Competitive and Industry News link has mysteriously gone silent. The UPSer.com Competitive and Industry News link has historically been very informative everyweek, if not everyday.

I hope the Competitive and Industry page problem is on my end.

It would be best for all if employees who are legally registered on UPSers.com click on the Competitive and Industry News link. Somehow the Amazon $15 an hour is not listed.

Faceplanted

UPS would love to save money and compensate its part timers the same amount as Amazon.
Part time employees currently get benefits after 1 year. Pension after 5..... most don’t stay more than a few months to a year from what iv see

It seems :censored2: pay and 5 years for p/t pension BENEFIT ups and the union.

There is your answer why the union and ups are so quick to sell out p/t workers at ups

browned out

No one is surprised. Everyone is disappointed that UPS continues to not be forthright in their explanation of the proposed CBA. UPSers.com's not mentioning the Amazon $15 an hour competitive news story is a disgrace. UPSers.com produced an entire video explaining why we "needed" to adjust to the Post Office's Casual Worker model. Yet; somehow the major news story of Amazon raising their workforce minimum wage is missing?

Part time employees currently get benefits after 1 year. Pension after 5..... most don’t stay more than a few months to a year from what iv see

It seems :censored2: pay and 5 years for p/t pension BENEFIT ups and the union.

There is your answer why the union and ups are so quick to sell out p/t workers at ups
Ups pays pension from day one. After 30 days it’s about $9 an hour.

Faceplanted

Ups pays pension from day one. After 30 days it’s about $9 an hour.
Exactly. Into a pension fund for an employee who will be gone after a few months... why does ups keep a revolving door of p/t workers. I’m not a mathematician but that would seem to find a pension fairly well... no? see where I’m going with this?

browned out

PT workers are the worst thing that ever happened at UPS.
PT workers have weakened the Union.

Part Time workers are not the worst thing to happen at UPS. (Teamsters allowing the PT positions to be created at a 2 tier wage was the worst thing) Part Timers bust their ars. Every Part Time job i had at UPS was more physically demanding than my current package car position.

Last edited:

Exactly. Into a pension fund for an employee who will be gone after a few months... why does ups keep a revolving door of p/t workers. I’m not a mathematician but that would seem to find a pension fairly well... no? see where I’m going with this?
UPS has been a revolving door for part timers for over 30 years. Back when insurance kicked in after 30 days.

UPS has been a revolving door for part timers for over 30 years. Back when insurance kicked in after 30 days.
I disagree. 30 years ago $8/hr and $9/hr preload/sort pay was not bad money for a PT job. Now everyone pays $10/hr to work PT. From burger flippers to convenience store cashiers. And you wonder why Unions have lost so much political clout.

I disagree. 30 years ago $8/hr and $9/hr preload/sort pay was not bad money for a PT job. Now everyone pays $10/hr to work PT. From burger flippers to convenience store cashiers. And you wonder why Unions have lost so much political clout.
In the early 90s it was like 1 in 6 or 8 made seniority. Much fewer made it 1 year. Part time jobs have high turn over in general.

77dollhairs

Wow! All this bashing of part-timers @ UPS. I have been part-time for 15 years .... Started for the benefits, was eligible to drive full-time 5 years in . The best decision I ever made was to decline to drive @ UPS and put my focus and energy in my own electrical business. I'm happy financially and I don't miss any family events.
I see way to many full time package car driver's fall victim to divorce,alcoholism, massive debt etc... Just not worth it in my eyes. Proud to be part-time....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got an Amazon delivery today. I was tracking it on the map just like they can do us. Why are all of their vans I see wrecked on the right side?

fullsizeoutput_8af.jpeg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Anyone who points out that UPS part timers get a pension should also point out that many part timers will never see a pension check. A lot of people who work part time at UPS do so as a way to help get through school. 5 years to be vested means a lot of part timers will never be vested. You have to balance between those who need the money now, and those who are in it for the long haul.

El Correcto

god is dead
No your argument is what's ridiculous. Lots of people have different sources of income now and just because they aren't working 40 hours per week at ups doesn't mean they should make nothing per hour while there. Especially with how much profit they make the company busting their ass every day. Dumb old fashioned old man is what you are.
If they are making nothing per hour, which they are not I’d agree.

They have the best insurance and a pension, Amazon matching that? Doubtful. They also have the ability to jump into a career making 5,000 dollars a month starting out, take home pay. Amazon isn’t offering that either.

No offense to part timers, I don’t give a :censored2: how much you make while you’re doing grunt work, I did it for 5 years and made less than you.

My main concern is driving jobs, it’s all I’m voting for and I see it in danger. I’ll fight for part timers by trying to maintain what has been handed down to me, opportunity. If they don’t have the initiative to go driving, this probably isn’t a job to raise a family on unless you plan on having two jobs and are here for the insurance.

browned out

I have been a member of the BC for many years. I CAN believe what is happening. It appears that in addition to UPS not providing forthcoming contract info, the Hoffa /Teamsters' blatant lying and failure to fairly represent All of the UPS members...NOW...... the cake topper....BC Refuses to address the REAL NEWS.

Shame on you BC.

MAKAVELI

Gotta love the union brothers that try to justify keeping other union brothers wages and benefits down.:lol:

If they are making nothing per hour, which they are not I’d agree.

They have the best insurance and a pension, Amazon matching that? Doubtful. They also have the ability to jump into a career making 5,000 dollars a month starting out, take home pay. Amazon isn’t offering that either.

No offense to part timers, I don’t give a :censored2: how much you make while you’re doing grunt work, I did it for 5 years and made less than you.

My main concern is driving jobs, it’s all I’m voting for and I see it in danger. I’ll fight for part timers by trying to maintain what has been handed down to me, opportunity. If they don’t have the initiative to go driving, this probably isn’t a job to raise a family on unless you plan on having two jobs and are here for the insurance.