Amazon raises its minimum wage to $15 an hour

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have been a member of the BC for many years. I CAN believe what is happening. It appears that in addition to UPS not providing forthcoming contract info, the Hoffa /Teamsters' blatant lying and failure to fairly represent All of the UPS members...NOW...... the cake topper....BC Refuses to address the REAL NEWS.

Shame on you BC.

BC is not really a news service. If you look through recent threads, as @542thruNthru pointed out, you will see it addressed by several threads. What, exactly, do you think you are owed as a member on this website?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Ok. @browned out Let's just look at what news stories have already been posted here. You will stick to your own preconcieved conclusions... I wish you well.

Hearing critics like Bernie Sanders, Amazon raises its U.S. minimum wage to $15 - Marketwatch

Company to lobby for bump in federal minimum wage

Amazon.com Inc., which last month briefly joined the elite club alongside Apple of claiming market capitalization of $1 trillion, will now pay its workers a minimum wage of $15 per hour.

The increase covers its 250,000 U.S. full-time, part-time and temporary employees and its over 100,000 seasonal U.S. workers, as of Nov. 1, the company said Tuesday.

“We listened to our critics, thought hard about what we wanted to do, and decided we want to lead,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO.

CalDrvr06

Amazon is Walmart on wheels. But they are smarter.. they have learned and watched all the bad press and scrutiny they have recieved over the years. There bad buisness practices will be seen but will UPS still be on top when that happens??

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Thank you! I wish you well also. How's the grandbaby?
He's super snuggly. Smiley. Great little baby. Almost makes me forget what a little :censored2: his mom was when she was a teen. Of course I remember being way way worse than she was when I was a teen, so I guess that wasn't actually a thing.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
He's super snuggly. Smiley. Great little baby. Almost makes me forget what a little :censored2: his mom was when she was a teen. Of course I remember being way way worse than she was when I was a teen, so I guess that wasn't actually a thing.

Glad he's doing good. My stepdaughter still is a B and she's 32. I keep hoping it's just a 20 year phase she is going through....

AwashBwashCwash

If they are making nothing per hour, which they are not I’d agree.

They have the best insurance and a pension, Amazon matching that? Doubtful. They also have the ability to jump into a career making 5,000 dollars a month starting out, take home pay. Amazon isn’t offering that either.

No offense to part timers, I don’t give a :censored2: how much you make while you’re doing grunt work, I did it for 5 years and made less than you.

My main concern is driving jobs, it’s all I’m voting for and I see it in danger. I’ll fight for part timers by trying to maintain what has been handed down to me, opportunity. If they don’t have the initiative to go driving, this probably isn’t a job to raise a family on unless you plan on having two jobs and are here for the insurance.

I don't get this attitude.
Why can't it be a nice job for everyone?
Besides, not everyone can go driving. I don't know what it's like at your facility but here those driving jobs rarely open up. Some of these old drivers would rather literally die on their route than retire.
As far as I'm concerned dangling the driving jobs over part-timers' heads like a carrot on a stick is a management tactic. "Look pretty soon you'll be making $5,000 a month so just eat :censored2: for now ok?"

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I have been a member of the BC for many years. I CAN believe what is happening. It appears that in addition to UPS not providing forthcoming contract info, the Hoffa /Teamsters' blatant lying and failure to fairly represent All of the UPS members...NOW...... the cake topper....BC Refuses to address the REAL NEWS.

Shame on you BC.

Hate to disappoint you, but that is not UPS news.

It only shows that Amazon pays more than UPS.

So do a lot of other companies.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They are not our competition , they are our customer. They are trying to deliver some of their own volume yes, but that is like saying the FTD flower guy is out competition . We deliver flowers too. How dare they try to deliver their own stuff

And how dare they pay more than UPS.

WTFm8

Even if someone would take the $13 to start PT at UPS, how many opportunities would there be for that same person to be making $34/hr or $40/hr in 5 years at Amazon??

you know we get almost none of our drivers from the inside now right?

The biggest issue I currently have is they ‘force’ inside work for new drivers. How do they expect to get new drivers to stay when forcing to work inside at $11/hr when not driving for the day...

HR interviews and lists a Full Time Delivery Driver position starting at $18.75/hr, then building manager/supervisors tell you you’re required to continue doing inside work after your 30 days... at inside rate of $11/hr.

I want to know how to file to get the $18.75/hr that should be my current base-pay.

Applied/interviewed for a job titled Full Time Delivery Driver, have the emails stating $18.75/hr to start, then copies of texts from management saying inside work is mandatory/work as directed.

Union BA says it’s not and I just need enough punches to maintain benefits... but can’t answer how many punches or hours per week.

Wrong. Drivers wages need to be cut so PTs can make more

We could easily say you don’t deserve to make as much as you do in your position.
True... but it is easier to keep training a revolving door part timers than it is a revolving door of full timers.

browned out

It may not be real news on the UPS browncafe headlines. But it should absolutely be on the competition and Industry web tab of the upsers.com website.

Somehow the Amazon $15 an hour story is so powerful that it completely wiped out every single story on the corporate competition and industry news portion of the UPS website. Imagine that!