Megacolor

Just got on as a seasonal driver, I only worked 2 days last week. They not giving me routes. So today I came in at 8am
just to find out I didn't have a route and was sent home at 10am. So 2 hours of my day wasted + it takes me 40 mins drive to get to the hub and another 40 mins going back home.. Whats the best thing to do here?

Just got on as a seasonal driver, I only worked 2 days last week. They not giving me routes. So today I came in at 8am
just to find out I didn't have a route and was sent home at 10am. So 2 hours of my day wasted + it takes me 40 mins drive to get to the hub and another 40 mins going back home.. Whats the best thing to do here?
Just calling every morning about an hour before your start time and ask them if they need you or not

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Find a closer place to home

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
this is the closest Hub from my place. stop trolling!
9EF43DC8-2458-4A78-8566-7010413636CA.gif

catman207

Hey everyone, appreciate this being a spot where you can ask questions. Got a few:
I started this past summer as preload. Got in as TCD for peak, I'm wondering if because I already made senority for PT if that means that once peak is over I'll still be FT driving. I know it's a "most the time" for off the street hires staying on granted you do acceptable work. There's centers within a reasonable driving distance I can work at that I know need drivers bad, so it seems likely, just curious if my seniority really gets me a leg up vs off the street hires. (For reference for this and next question I'm in New England)
Second is, let's imagine that I do get FT after peak. Would that be as a cover driver, 22.4, or whichever they have available (as in, center A has 22.4, center B has FT cover driver as a position)? Unsure if 22.4 is something you necessarily have to pursue on its own, or if it is the "natural progression" of getting to RPCD as of now. If it's 22.4 is it *that* bad of a job, if it's whats available to me? Looking over the contract it seems it's $20.50 at start, unsure of what a non RPCD FT driver pay is, or if it's just 22.4s now, or if a non 22.4 FT driver is rare enough where I might as well forget about it.
Fortunately there's a few centers that are within driving distance, with another opening up next year that will clear up some space for an RPCD slot, fingers crossed.
Is the yearly pay progression based on your start date, or date you began as a FT employee? Like if my 1st day at ups was 6/01 but 1st FT day was 12/01 which would be the date where the pay increase begins?

Thanks a bunch, I'm here to make this a career so I want to make smart moves and be as proactive as I can in getting all my ducks in a row.

Hey everyone, appreciate this being a spot where you can ask questions. Got a few:
I started this past summer as preload. Got in as TCD for peak, I'm wondering if because I already made senority for PT if that means that once peak is over I'll still be FT driving. I know it's a "most the time" for off the street hires staying on granted you do acceptable work. There's centers within a reasonable driving distance I can work at that I know need drivers bad, so it seems likely, just curious if my seniority really gets me a leg up vs off the street hires. (For reference for this and next question I'm in New England)
Second is, let's imagine that I do get FT after peak. Would that be as a cover driver, 22.4, or whichever they have available (as in, center A has 22.4, center B has FT cover driver as a position)? Unsure if 22.4 is something you necessarily have to pursue on its own, or if it is the "natural progression" of getting to RPCD as of now. If it's 22.4 is it *that* bad of a job, if it's whats available to me? Looking over the contract it seems it's $20.50 at start, unsure of what a non RPCD FT driver pay is, or if it's just 22.4s now, or if a non 22.4 FT driver is rare enough where I might as well forget about it.
Fortunately there's a few centers that are within driving distance, with another opening up next year that will clear up some space for an RPCD slot, fingers crossed.
Is the yearly pay progression based on your start date, or date you began as a FT employee? Like if my 1st day at ups was 6/01 but 1st FT day was 12/01 which would be the date where the pay increase begins?

Thanks a bunch, I'm here to make this a career so I want to make smart moves and be as proactive as I can in getting all my ducks in a row.
Dude
You have another shorter post that's way too much of impression for most people on here to read

catman207

Lol sure. New England supplement. Starting as TCD, made senority as PT. Does that give me a leg up for staying FT once peak ends?
Once peak ends, would I be cover or 22.4? Is there a big difference between the two pay wise? Is pay raises based on starting date w company or as FT? Would it be worth it to go to a different center to be a FT cover vs staying as a 22.4 closer to home? Is FT cover even a thing anymore or is it a rarer position with the advent of 22.4?

(Used to be an English major, apologies about the novel above)

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Hi ,,, happy UPS'er here ,, i love this job , I appreciate the info I get here ,, thanks to all of you , I found out what shoes to wear and how to get socks ,, although one mean guy led me to believe the company bonus was a turkey !!
Hey , are we working a full day before thanksgiving????? Also, we can be off on Friday too !! I'm going to my Nanas house with my mom and really need to rest up before the Christmas Rush or peak what ever you call it !! My boss is super nice and likes me , I'm sure he can spare me !!

Hi ,,, happy UPS'er here ,, i love this job , I appreciate the info I get here ,, thanks to all of you , I found out what shoes to wear and how to get socks ,, although one mean guy led me to believe the company bonus was a turkey !!
Hey , are we working a full day before thanksgiving????? Also, we can be off on Friday too !! I'm going to my Nanas house with my mom and really need to rest up before the Christmas Rush or peak what ever you call it !! My boss is super nice and likes me , I'm sure he can spare me !!
But they told me I was hired full-time...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

LMAO

AcidBurn

Lol sure. New England supplement. Starting as TCD, made senority as PT. Does that give me a leg up for staying FT once peak ends?
Once peak ends, would I be cover or 22.4? Is there a big difference between the two pay wise? Is pay raises based on starting date w company or as FT? Would it be worth it to go to a different center to be a FT cover vs staying as a 22.4 closer to home? Is FT cover even a thing anymore or is it a rarer position with the advent of 22.4?

(Used to be an English major, apologies about the novel above)
22.4 is a bid position. According to the contract they are supposed to fill it in seniority order from everyone who signed the bid sheet. They must take 5 people from the sheet for every person they hire from outside. The important thing is that there is a probation period at the start of any permanent position during which you can be terminated for just about any reason. But yes, if you have seniority you are supposed to get called back first. Of course management violates the contract all the time, so consider that.

KateScully

I am going to try to compile a faq page for all new hires.

New UPSers, feel free to post your questions here in this thread if you haven't found your answer elsewhere.
I have a question. I got hired last a week and half ago. They told me to wait like a week and a half to two weeks to hear from my supervisor at my hub. I am a personal vechile driver. Still haven't heard from anyone so I called my supervisor today and didn't get to speak to him but talked to someone else and they basically told me they are at there capacity and took my name and said if there are openings they will call. This is very frustrating because I need to know what is going on. I call the recruiting department and they tell me that I'm hired. And I know I got hired I did all my training and even got paid for it. Please help!