542thruNthru

6A2429E6-25E8-49D3-AEEA-372D5415A937.png

Sorsair

I figure I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread. I'm 32 and have been working a boring desk job for decent pay the last 10 years and I've hit the point where I hate it. My father worked for UPS for 25 years 15 as a driver and 10 as terminal manager and he was always trying to get me into UPS. During an interview for a office role in UPS I asked about becoming a driver. The manager told me they were currently hiring part time cover drivers and I'm weighting if that's worth leaving a 40 hour job. Would I like to become a full time driver? Yes. Do I know the job is a kick in the ass? Yes and I want to get out from behind the desk.

My question is to any drivers here, what is a cover driver as far as your aware in your terminal? I assume I am on call weekly and cover routes for vacations and sick days etc. I was told currently it's around a year until full time is offered to new drivers. Also, any tips for surviving the first 30 days? Thanks.

nWo

I figure I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread. I'm 32 and have been working a boring desk job for decent pay the last 10 years and I've hit the point where I hate it. My father worked for UPS for 25 years 15 as a driver and 10 as terminal manager and he was always trying to get me into UPS. During an interview for a office role in UPS I asked about becoming a driver. The manager told me they were currently hiring part time cover drivers and I'm weighting if that's worth leaving a 40 hour job. Would I like to become a full time driver? Yes. Do I know the job is a kick in the ass? Yes and I want to get out from behind the desk.

My question is to any drivers here, what is a cover driver as far as your aware in your terminal? I assume I am on call weekly and cover routes for vacations and sick days etc. I was told currently it's around a year until full time is offered to new drivers. Also, any tips for surviving the first 30 days? Thanks.

You make $40/hr sitting behind a desk and you want to leave that to make $20/hr to work in extreme heat/cold filthy conditions? I wouldn't do it.

nWo

Legit might take you a decade before you become a top rate normal driver.

Getting in and out of that package car 200 times a day 6 days a week will take a toll on your body. Some nights management will keep you out until 9-10pm. Be prepared to miss a lot of your kids sporting events. Just remember to factor in all of these things. Working at UPS is not a 9-5 job. Best pay and benefits in the industry but the job will wear you down.

Last edited:

Sorsair

You make $40/hr sitting behind a desk and you want to leave that to make $20/hr to work in extreme heat/cold filthy conditions? I wouldn't do it.
I make $21 in New York state which with the rising cost of everything and rent that's really not that much anymore here. Not to mention with the companies I've worked for every year it's only a 2% raise at best but they always find a way to screw you. So basically the last 6 months I've been job hunting other office jobs to get a raise. Still single, got no kids so I have time to work and my dad loved working for UPS minus never seeing us that much when I was younger. UPS you're always moving and the more I work an office job the more I feel like I'm wasting away sitting behind a desk. My only real concern is leaving a 40 hour a week done for "cover driver" as I wouldn't know if I'm getting 10 hours that week or 30+. And I'd imagine it's impossible to find another job to work around the cover driver schedule until I get FT. Thanks for the advice by the way.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I make $21 in New York state which with the rising cost of everything and rent that's really not that much anymore here. Not to mention with the companies I've worked for every year it's only a 2% raise at best but they always find a way to screw you. So basically the last 6 months I've been job hunting other office jobs to get a raise. Still single, got no kids so I have time to work and my dad loved working for UPS minus never seeing us that much when I was younger. UPS you're always moving and the more I work an office job the more I feel like I'm wasting away sitting behind a desk. My only real concern is leaving a 40 hour a week done for "cover driver" as I wouldn't know if I'm getting 10 hours that week or 30+. And I'd imagine it's impossible to find another job to work around the cover driver schedule until I get FT. Thanks for the advice by the way.
MANHATTAN SOUTH was some of the best days of my life. Never worked 43rd St but I’ve heard it’s a lot more stressful or under a microscope if you will.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I agree, although a lot of people looking for a drastic “change of lifestyle/work environment” come to the railroad and half of them love it. The other half leave during training so take it for what it’s worth but I’ve seen guys come from IT their whole life and join the railroad make $30 an hour as a Conductor and love it.

Engineers top off around $48 an hour and it’s a natural progression sometimes as soon as one year for us to engine school.

Sounds like it might also work out for OP because he has no kids or spouse and he will get all including a bag of chips of what he’s asking for as far as 24/7 outdoor work in any weather.

beatupbrown

This job is very tough job some folks make it out ok others bodies can’t take jumping in out of a pkg car 100-200 times a day times 2. Just eat breakfast with a buddy who did 36 years walked away in pretty good shape. He has several buddies 2 had complete hip placements, the other had his shoulders, knees replaced 2 walk with a cane. I talked to IBEW working on power lines they walk away with after 35 years with a 11k pension a month, around $53 an hour, depends what part of the nation.

Thebrownblob

This job is very tough job some folks make it out ok others bodies can’t take jumping in out of a pkg car 100-200 times a day times 2. Just eat breakfast with a buddy who did 36 years walked away in pretty good shape. He has several buddies 2 had complete hip placements, the other had his shoulders, knees replaced 2 walk with a cane. I talked to IBEW working on power lines they walk away with after 35 years with a 11k pension a month, around $53 an hour, depends what part of the nation.
Yep the trades are very lucrative! A young man who’s not afraid to travel and get his hands dirty can make quite a nice living and retire early in life.

Thebrownblob

Excluding the backstabbing lying bullying hostile work place time card shaving...sure it sounds great
Backstabbing I guess, lying doesn’t bother me because I never believe anything they say anyway, Time car shaving never happens to me, keep track of your time. I have seen many management people walked out the building for doing it, so if they want to, bring it on there’s a few I’d like to see walked out the door. Bullying? LOL you have to be willing to be bullied. I push back. In 30 years I’ve never once thought of anything that’s happened to me as being bullied. The hostile work environment you refer to it’s just a challenge to me, so to each his own.

Bkim757

I have a question drivers.. I'm looking to make a jump from yrc to a feeder driver position with ups. Insurance is the same but I'm going to take a 4 dollar pay cut. Jumping to ups will bring me alot closer to home(gas wise) But the top pay after 4 years is alot for me. And also their pension. Any thoughts?

I have a question drivers.. I'm looking to make a jump from yrc to a feeder driver position with ups. Insurance is the same but I'm going to take a 4 dollar pay cut. Jumping to ups will bring me alot closer to home(gas wise) But the top pay after 4 years is alot for me. And also their pension. Any thoughts?
Number one you have to get hired at UPS

NUMBER TWO YOU'RE NOT GOING TO HAVE ANY HEALTH INSURANCE FOR 9 MONTHS