burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Just got hired going to New Stanton pa for driver. They just through some papers at me said get some computer work at me and directions to hotel and training. What’s with all scare tactics about school. I though it was training can’t expect you to learn word for word every thing they have. Most of it is common sense muscle reflex. One guy told me they are strict other guy told me they want you to pass. So what is it. Drove truck for 10 yrs never had to memorize this crap

With your attitude you’ll do well

Just keep bein you and don’t let the MAN get the upper hand

Redbud51

New hire here....sort of. Hired as a seasonal package handler. Without giving away too much, in the end I had to resign (NOT for the reasons you may think). I wanted to give my hub a two-weeks notice, but was not in the position to do that. HR has said that if we were late and what not that seasonal hires would be put in the system as a "no re-hire" and that would apply to ALL positions within United Parcel Service, even corporate. Here is my question: would resigning automatically put me in the system as a "no re-hire?"

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
New hire here....sort of. Hired as a seasonal package handler. Without giving away too much, in the end I had to resign (NOT for the reasons you may think). I wanted to give my hub a two-weeks notice, but was not in the position to do that. HR has said that if we were late and what not that seasonal hires would be put in the system as a "no re-hire" and that would apply to ALL positions within United Parcel Service, even corporate. Here is my question: would resigning automatically put me in the system as a "no re-hire?"

You are most likely a no re-hire since giving 2 weeks notice was just too damn difficult.

Redbud51

scooby0048, chill out man. I worked in a factory before and had a prior injury that flared up. My doc recommended it. And multiple regular part-timers pulled me to the side and said they should have brought us in a month before. Anyway, thanks for responding.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

So, you’ve got prior injury, You quit with no notice
and you want to know if you can be rehired

Maybe try Fedx

Redbud51

I didn't quite with no notice. I notified HR with a letter and my supervisor. I'm not looking to get hired in the same capacity. Not at a hub. Thanks for responding, bareheaded. I've met WONDERFUL UPSer's since I started at UPS and many became eager mentors. I didn't want to leave.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I didn't quite with no notice. I notified HR with a letter and my supervisor. I'm not looking to get hired in the same capacity. Not at a hub. Thanks for responding, bareheaded. I've met WONDERFUL UPSer's since I started at UPS and many became eager mentors. I didn't want to leave.

In what “capacity” are you looking to be rehired?

charmschool

Question: First day on road tomorrow with training supe, my idea is that i'm not going to sweat every detail but try to absorb as much as possible knowing it will get easier. Any advice on that? I'm an off the street driver hire so UPS is new to me. There's so much to get: the truck, the load (we have no preload), the map, the diad, the delivery, etc.

What can anyone tell me about the prospects of a permanent job if I take a seasonal yard shifter position for $15 an hour in Oklahoma City? I know the benefits of working for UPS, but I certainly wouldn't want to be part time or get laid off after the season. I have my CDL and have driven tractor trailers for many years. I am willing to suffer for a moment to get seniority or get to a better place, but time is not on my side at 42 years old.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What can anyone tell me about the prospects of a permanent job if I take a seasonal yard shifter position for $15 an hour in Oklahoma City? I know the benefits of working for UPS, but I certainly wouldn't want to be part time or get laid off after the season. I have my CDL and have driven tractor trailers for many years. I am willing to suffer for a moment to get seniority or get to a better place, but time is not on my side at 42 years old.

Are you currently working? If so, I certainly wouldn't quit a permanent job to take a seasonal one; however, if you are not, what would be the harm of taking the job and working through our Peak season with the possibility of being hired on a permanent basis shortly thereafter?

BROWN 24/7

Hey guys I'm new to this Forum and am applying for a Seasonal Driver position for around MA. I've filled out the application and talked with HR and have been told they started a background check. Its been 3-4 days and I have been checking in everyday to see if the status has changed but nothing. My application status did change over to active and more sections were added to fill out W 4 and such.

My question is how much longer until im picked up and any advice from any experienced drivers on what ill have to deal with stop count, how long with a supe, other things like that I know ill be run like a dog and know how hard the work is said to be i just need in depth being a newbie and all

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hey guys I'm new to this Forum and am applying for a Seasonal Driver position for around MA. I've filled out the application and talked with HR and have been told they started a background check. Its been 3-4 days and I have been checking in everyday to see if the status has changed but nothing. My application status did change over to active and more sections were added to fill out W 4 and such.

My question is how much longer until im picked up and any advice from any experienced drivers on what ill have to deal with stop count, how long with a supe, other things like that I know ill be run like a dog and know how hard the work is said to be i just need in depth being a newbie and all
[FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions - Read Before Posting

achambe5

Prospective employee here. My question is: Did UPS eliminate the pension for new part-timers totally, or just for new supervisors not covered under a union contract? Are new part time employees who are covered under a union contract still vested after 5 years? I am having difficulty finding any of this information.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Prospective employee here. My question is: Did UPS eliminate the pension for new part-timers totally, or just for new supervisors not covered under a union contract? Are new part time employees who are covered under a union contract still vested after 5 years? I am having difficulty finding any of this information.
Yes all union employees still get pension contributions per the current contract. However next year is contract year so we shall see what happens then...

I have my application interview scheduled for Monday at 10:00AM for a driver helper position.

-will I have to go to the UPS facility more than once or on a regular basis? the driver helper position was listed as in my neighborhood but the UPS facility is a pretty long drive away, which is why I chose driver helper over a package handler position.

-is there any sort of set weekly schedule or is it sort of "whenever we need you"? the posting said it was a full-time position but I get the impression from reading around here that you can just be randomly called and work for 3 or 4 hours and not get another call for a few days at a time, but it also seems like with peak season there should be a lot of work to do.

-how does meeting the driver typically work? it seems kind of informal based on the job description, like we just meet in some random parking lot...just a little concerned about parking my car in some lot and having it towed or something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have my application interview scheduled for Monday at 10:00AM for a driver helper position.

-will I have to go to the UPS facility more than once or on a regular basis? the driver helper position was listed as in my neighborhood but the UPS facility is a pretty long drive away, which is why I chose driver helper over a package handler position.

-is there any sort of set weekly schedule or is it sort of "whenever we need you"? the posting said it was a full-time position but I get the impression from reading around here that you can just be randomly called and work for 3 or 4 hours and not get another call for a few days at a time, but it also seems like with peak season there should be a lot of work to do.

-how does meeting the driver typically work? it seems kind of informal based on the job description, like we just meet in some random parking lot...just a little concerned about parking my car in some lot and having it towed or something.

You will have to go to the center for orientation and to receive your uniform pants and jacket.

There is no set schedule----it is basically "whenever we need you".

You won't get a lot of hours at first but that will change the week after Thanksgiving.

Your first day will be set up by the helper coordinator. You will meet the driver at a designated spot and at a designated time. Show up at the spot a few minutes ahead of time ready to work. Check with the owner of the parking lot to make sure that it is OK to leave your car there for the day; if not, find an alternate location. Don't get there at the last minute and then decide that you need to take a leak or have a cigarette-----show up ready to go. Subsequent work days will be set up by your driver, usually by text.

Work quickly but safely. Don't let the driver make you do all the work while he sits in the truck. Don't let him make you run.

Most importantly----stay off your damn cell phone!!! You are there to work.

Are you currently working? If so, I certainly wouldn't quit a permanent job to take a seasonal one; however, if you are not, what would be the harm of taking the job and working through our Peak season with the possibility of being hired on a permanent basis shortly thereafter?
That is exactly the dilemma. I have a somewhat crappy job but it is full time and pays $23hr with no benefits. I made $50,000 last year gross.