burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You will have to go to the center for orientation and to receive your uniform pants and jacket.

There is no set schedule----it is basically "whenever we need you".

You won't get a lot of hours at first but that will change the week after Thanksgiving.

Your first day will be set up by the helper coordinator. You will meet the driver at a designated spot and at a designated time. Show up at the spot a few minutes ahead of time ready to work. Check with the owner of the parking lot to make sure that it is OK to leave your car there for the day; if not, find an alternate location. Don't get there at the last minute and then decide that you need to take a leak or have a cigarette-----show up ready to go. Subsequent work days will be set up by your driver, usually by text.

Work quickly but safely. Don't let the driver make you do all the work while he sits in the truck. Don't let him make you run.

Most importantly----stay off your damn cell phone!!! You are there to work.

Don't let the driver make you do all the work while he sits in the truck. Don't let him make you run.

Lmao that’s what they are for

Future

Victory Ride
Uh, no, it's not.

You are supposed to work as a team, which is why I make sure to teach him/her the basics of the DIAD in the first few days so that he/she can deliver independently of me. This works really well in the medical office complex that I deliver to.
I used 2 have a few 5 story ..old people complexes ...
Helper would take one wing ...I would do the other ...worked very well

thanks guys who answered my questions re: driver helper. just got back from interview process, orientation next tuesday.

does anyone know how the route/area you'll be working is determined? when i applied there were a few different driver helper positions with different zip codes/neighborhoods around my city and i specifically applied to the one closest to me. but now it's just changed to "<my city> - south" on my UPS application. which could mean a lot of places in my city. could be an hour or more, plus it'd be on toll roads. was really hoping i would be working locally - one of the main reasons i applied and was willing to accept the on-call nature was due to the neighborhood and commute, really.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
thanks guys who answered my questions re: driver helper. just got back from interview process, orientation next tuesday.

does anyone know how the route/area you'll be working is determined? when i applied there were a few different driver helper positions with different zip codes/neighborhoods around my city and i specifically applied to the one closest to me. but now it's just changed to "<my city> - south" on my UPS application. which could mean a lot of places in my city. could be an hour or more, plus it'd be on toll roads. was really hoping i would be working locally - one of the main reasons i applied and was willing to accept the on-call nature was due to the neighborhood and commute, really.
A634931B-82CB-4410-8554-89D02ECC69E1.gif

KOG72

I’m full of it

At my building 95 percent of the time they will work with you and put you with a driver close to your location.I’ve had helpers ride the bus and I would pick them up there and drop them off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

During orientation let HR know that you would prefer to work with the driver who delivers closest to your house. Remind the helper coordinator of this when he/she calls to schedule you for your first day on road.

I am going to try to compile a faq page for all new hires.

New UPSers, feel free to post your questions here in this thread if you haven't found your answer elsewhere.

Just got hired as a package handler, seasonal. Start Tuesday. What are the chances of being able to stay on after the holidays?

Amerigirl

Drive safe and look twice...always! Slow down.
Hello, I am a seasonal driver helper. This was my first week on a cart, and it was good. Definitely not enough hours yet, I guess they are breaking me in easy. Tomorrow I will be by myself. I had about 7.5 hours using the DIAD. There is a lot about it that I do not know yet. Like today... I had a package that needed a signature. I didn't know how to do that. I guess I'll learn.
I found the Brown Cafe while doing searches about UPS. I have to say this is very informative and interesting. I have a lot more reading to do... obviously.
Anyway... Hello from Texas. Drive safe and Live long!

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello, I am a seasonal driver helper. This was my first week on a cart, and it was good. Definitely not enough hours yet, I guess they are breaking me in easy. Tomorrow I will be by myself. I had about 7.5 hours using the DIAD. There is a lot about it that I do not know yet. Like today... I had a package that needed a signature. I didn't know how to do that. I guess I'll learn.
I found the Brown Cafe while doing searches about UPS. I have to say this is very informative and interesting. I have a lot more reading to do... obviously.
Anyway... Hello from Texas. Drive safe and Live long!

You look like a cartoon character

I am going to try to compile a faq page for all new hires.

New UPSers, feel free to post your questions here in this thread if you haven't found your answer elsewhere.

I just got hired as a seasonal package handler. I start Tuesday, but I am not sure if I pay into the union or not. I'd prefer to, since I really want to stay on after the holidays, but I have been reading conflicting stuff on the internet, some say seasonal PHs don't pay into the union. Thanks in advance for the help.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I start orientation Tuesday as a seasonal package handler, but I am not sure if I pay into the union or not. I'd prefer to, since I really want to stay on after the holidays, but I have been reading conflicting stuff on the internet, some say seasonal PHs don't pay into the union. Thanks in advance for the help.
I think this depends on location but it really doesn't matter if you do or not.

Paying in won't make any difference if you're kept or not. So if I were you I would prefer not to pay until I know I'm permanent.