Amerigirl

Drive safe and look twice...always! Slow down.
Typical rookie move...you could have taped that bad boy up and delivered it then claimed it came that way.

Hahaha... No way. It was literally demolished and dragged under my trailer. The box was in about 20 pieces... parts of it blew away in the wind before I could get to it.

I'm kidding, it happens. Keep on truckin!

DavidLovesAvril

I have my application interview scheduled for Monday at 10:00AM for a driver helper position.

-will I have to go to the UPS facility more than once or on a regular basis? the driver helper position was listed as in my neighborhood but the UPS facility is a pretty long drive away, which is why I chose driver helper over a package handler position.

-is there any sort of set weekly schedule or is it sort of "whenever we need you"? the posting said it was a full-time position but I get the impression from reading around here that you can just be randomly called and work for 3 or 4 hours and not get another call for a few days at a time, but it also seems like with peak season there should be a lot of work to do.

-how does meeting the driver typically work? it seems kind of informal based on the job description, like we just meet in some random parking lot...just a little concerned about parking my car in some lot and having it towed or something.

I don’t know about your hub but I’m also a package handler but also a drivers helper and we have to meet our drivers out on route

Utahloader

I am a seasonal driver, had been working local sort for about 2-3 years. The first couple weeks of driving was a steep learning curve, but usually pretty light (120-130 stops). Sometimes all the packages could not fit on my truck and had to givin to another driver to deliver. I had asked management about maybe me getting a bigger truck and they said there was no way, even though I see other older drivers get bigger trucks just by asking. Sometimes I can't even force the bulkhead door open and if I open the back they will all come tumbling out. Well now its picked up (160-170 stops) and all day I am having to climb a mountain of boxes. I hate to tell the customer "yeah heres two of your three packages" because I can't find them without spending ten minutes making a complete tornado of the truck. I have seen really packed trucks working there the past two years but this seems a little out of hand... Do I press the issue? Or do I just keep a pictures on my phone of the load in case anything were to happen? Any help would be really appreciated.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am a seasonal driver, had been working local sort for about 2-3 years. The first couple weeks of driving was a steep learning curve, but usually pretty light (120-130 stops). Sometimes all the packages could not fit on my truck and had to givin to another driver to deliver. I had asked management about maybe me getting a bigger truck and they said there was no way, even though I see other older drivers get bigger trucks just by asking. Sometimes I can't even force the bulkhead door open and if I open the back they will all come tumbling out. Well now its picked up (160-170 stops) and all day I am having to climb a mountain of boxes. I hate to tell the customer "yeah heres two of your three packages" because I can't find them without spending ten minutes making a complete tornado of the truck. I have seen really packed trucks working there the past two years but this seems a little out of hand... Do I press the issue? Or do I just keep a pictures on my phone of the load in case anything were to happen? Any help would be really appreciated.

Careful what you ask for

A bigger truck means they can put even more boxes on

Wan2Live

Ok I am on day 3 of Sunrise. I am sore and I expected to be and I expected it to be hard work, this makes it mentally easier I think.

Anyhow, I was hired and told to come in at 02:00 on 11/22 - ok so I got to the hub and went in and was told my name was not on the list, ok no problem, I emailed HR and said, hey whats the deal and she was apologetic and said it was her fault she had me listed somehwere else.

So my actual hire/start date is 11/28. I areive at the Hub and the trainer or whomever gives about 5 of us the standard papers to fill out and the unin speel, we watch the standard safety videos. The trainer comes in at 04:00 and say’s it’s cyber monday and we are backed up, so i am going to send you all home, with no hey be here tomorrow same time. I contact HR and say hey whats the deal and I was told they will call me with the stary time, well HR called me in the afternoon and said be to work at 02:00.

I get to the hub at 02:00 and sit and wait and wait and wait with another guy because we had no idea who the supe was, I finally speak to the building manager and he took us to the floor and said, here are your supe’s, I did not know what a supe was, I’m new and I was hired as a loader/unloader.

So I am a supervisor now and I did not have to test, yet I guess. UPS is so mis managed it’s unreal.

I have no idea how I was put into a supe roll but I manage a team from india in my full time job.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ok I am on day 3 of Sunrise. I am sore and I expected to be and I expected it to be hard work, this makes it mentally easier I think.

Anyhow, I was hired and told to come in at 02:00 on 11/22 - ok so I got to the hub and went in and was told my name was not on the list, ok no problem, I emailed HR and said, hey whats the deal and she was apologetic and said it was her fault she had me listed somehwere else.

So my actual hire/start date is 11/28. I areive at the Hub and the trainer or whomever gives about 5 of us the standard papers to fill out and the unin speel, we watch the standard safety videos. The trainer comes in at 04:00 and say’s it’s cyber monday and we are backed up, so i am going to send you all home, with no hey be here tomorrow same time. I contact HR and say hey whats the deal and I was told they will call me with the stary time, well HR called me in the afternoon and said be to work at 02:00.

I get to the hub at 02:00 and sit and wait and wait and wait with another guy because we had no idea who the supe was, I finally speak to the building manager and he took us to the floor and said, here are your supe’s, I did not know what a supe was, I’m new and I was hired as a loader/unloader.

So I am a supervisor now and I did not have to test, yet I guess. UPS is so mis managed it’s unreal.

I have no idea how I was put into a supe roll but I manage a team from india in my full time job.
Now that's funny. LOL

E

el blanco

give yourself a raise, before they realize what has happened

purplecafe

seasonal worker here. first week on the job as a loader. At the end of todays shift, I checked my numbers on the scanner (Motorola) and it says this:

Loose pkg: 1263
Total pkg: 1622
Nested ULD: 65

What do these 3 things mean? In particular, loose pkg and nested ULD

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Loose = boxes, tubes or whatever
Total is everything - Bags, packages.
Uld I am going to assume were cold sorts etc
You got hired yesterday and now you are an expert? I'm still trying to figure out how you got hired yesterday but are sore from working 3 days into sunlight shift now.

Wan2Live

You got hired yesterday and now you are an expert? I'm still trying to figure out how you got hired yesterday but are sore from working 3 days into sunlight shift now.

I was hired on the 28th and I work, I do not sit around with a thumb up my arse. I am not an expert, I have common sense.

Furen

Okay so a couple of days ago, I went in for an tour/orientation with ups. During the orientation, dude told us that they had lost like 30 workers the previous week and needed bodies that could work the long hours to help with the packages. At this point like 20 people walked away from the tour en masse (lol'd). So I let em know that I'm available to work the long hours they need and proceed to the HR section. Interview was just a few yes or no questions and an inquiry on my preferred shift. I told them any and HR said that the day was full and they would need to call with confirmation/status or something to that affect on the twilight.

So when they say this, I'm thinking back to dude giving us a speech during the tour like no more than 10 min ago about how they're lacking serious manpower because people keep walking out at the facility and wondering how them being full could be possible. I mean if that's the case, why not let us know from the beginning that it's a very small number of shifts available right now and have us just fill out the form with our contact info and preferred shift instead of making us wait in the cold only to tell us nothing is available right now. I mean that makes no kind of sense. I think somebody there wasn't being straight, and my gut feeling tells me it was HR. Tho I guess it also could've been the other dude trying to scare people into taking more hours, but he seemed pretty genuine compared to the non interested attitude of HR. Anyways, I'm wondering if this sort of thing is the norm and I should wait for their call or move on. And it's been 4 days already and nobody has called or left a message or updated my web portal.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Okay so a couple of days ago, I went in for an tour/orientation with ups. During the orientation, dude told us that they had lost like 30 workers the previous week and needed bodies that could work the long hours to help with the packages. At this point like 20 people walked away from the tour en masse (lol'd). So I let em know that I'm available to work the long hours they need and proceed to the HR section. Interview was just a few yes or no questions and an inquiry on my preferred shift. I told them any and HR said that the day was full and they would need to call with confirmation/status or something to that affect on the twilight.

So when they say this, I'm thinking back to dude giving us a speech during the tour like no more than 10 min ago about how they're lacking serious manpower because people keep walking out at the facility and wondering how them being full could be possible. I mean if that's the case, why not let us know from the beginning that it's a very small number of shifts available right now and have us just fill out the form with our contact info and preferred shift instead of making us wait in the cold only to tell us nothing is available right now. I mean that makes no kind of sense. I think somebody there wasn't being straight, and my gut feeling tells me it was HR. Tho I guess it also could've been the other dude trying to scare people into taking more hours, but he seemed pretty genuine compared to the non interested attitude of HR. Anyways, I'm wondering if this sort of thing is the norm and I should wait for their call or move on. And it's been 4 days already and nobody has called or left a message or updated my web portal.

Yeah that’s pretty much how they roll