So, I have something that's really bothering me.
Last week was my training, and this week was my actual warehouse week. But during my training I caught a really bad fever. And when I started in the Warehouse, I was doing pretty darn well until yesterday that is...
I was bed ridden with a stomach flu and wasn't aware about it till today, cause I assumed itwas just my fever coming back. I've been throwing up constantly and barely able to move. My biggest concern is that I called off both yesterday AND today, and it's only my second week...will this look bad? Like am I on grounds of termination? I was told that if I even miss just ONE day, then there's a chance my position there is gone...and I really don't want to lose my job there. I actually like it here. And my supervisor was aware about my fever before, so will that help my case or not? I'm dealing with some major anxiety about all of this, so if someone can just give me a straightforward answer please xD If my time there is up, then there's no reason to waste their time and mine.
I should also add that I'm on the Day Unload, even though that probably really doesn't do much, but still.

Last week was my training, and this week was my actual warehouse week. But during my training I caught a really bad fever. And when I started in the Warehouse, I was doing pretty darn well until yesterday that is...
I was bed ridden with a stomach flu and wasn't aware about it till today, cause I assumed itwas just my fever coming back. I've been throwing up constantly and barely able to move. My biggest concern is that I called off both yesterday AND today, and it's only my second week...will this look bad? Like am I on grounds of termination? I was told that if I even miss just ONE day, then there's a chance my position there is gone...and I really don't want to lose my job there. I actually like it here. And my supervisor was aware about my fever before, so will that help my case or not? I'm dealing with some major anxiety about all of this, so if someone can just give me a straightforward answer please xD If my time there is up, then there's no reason to waste their time and mine.
I should also add that I'm on the Day Unload, even though that probably really doesn't do much, but still.
If they need the help bad enough, they may keep you. It doesn't look good when you are only there a couple of days and call off

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?

Depends how much of a d!ck your sup is. I had to miss a day of my 30 driving because I couldn’t make it past an hour without throwing up or crapping one day and he was cool about it, just didn’t count as a day worked. Kept my job and it was a hope you feel better soon.

If you’re sick then you’re sick, but this job will leave you behind and fast so make sure you’re in constant contact with your sups and show plenty of concern about missing your days etc. Unfortunately this is the way it is at UPS.

Depends how much of a d!ck your sup is. I had to miss a day of my 30 driving because I couldn’t make it past an hour without throwing up or crapping one day and he was cool about it, just didn’t count as a day worked. Kept my job and it was a hope you feel better soon.

If you’re sick then you’re sick, but this job will leave you behind and fast so make sure you’re in constant contact with your sups and show plenty of concern about missing your days etc. Unfortunately this is the way it is at UPS.
Hey, thanks for the answer. And thank you, i hope i do get better soon.

Furen

What are some tips to unloading trailers fast? I'm constantly berated for not being fast enough, but some of that stuff is extremely heavy and when I'm the only one in the trailer it gets slow. Unpack 40 ft of trailer in one hour. Alone. bulk is piling up in the walk way. lots of badly wrapped packages getting thrown in the walk way too as I attempt to keep pushing through the sea of boxes. But those issues keep compounding and if I take the time to move all the bulk to the right area, I'm not going to be able to keep pace.

I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rack em

Made the Podium
What are some tips to unloading trailers fast? I'm constantly berated for not being fast enough, but some of that stuff is extremely heavy and when I'm the only one in the trailer it gets slow. Unpack 40 ft of trailer in one hour. Alone. bulk is piling up in the walk way. lots of badly wrapped packages getting thrown in the walk way too as I attempt to keep pushing through the sea of boxes. But those issues keep compounding and if I take the time to move all the bulk to the right area, I'm not going to be able to keep pace.

I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Don't focus on fast, focus on unloading safely at a brisk pace. Just put the packages on the rollers label up, and if some fall off just leave them there. If enough fall off then you can move up and put those back on the rollers to keep the flow going, then move back to the walls again. Put smalls bags on top of longer flat boxes so they don't jam up your rollers. You'll eventually find your rhythm and it will just be natural.

Also I was told by my supervisor when I unloaded for a very brief time, that I was the second worst unloader he had ever seen. My advice may be flawed.

puppies

When you apply for a PH position, after you do the interview and ect. Will they email me if I'm hired or phone me? ( I was able to fill out some tax forms on their site )

Loadsmasher

Hello everyone! First off, any veterans on here? I am in the transition, still on terminal leave actually and just started working for UPS. I have been unloading trucks for a few days, headed to driver school soon to be an air package driver on Saturdays. From what I understand that's just picking up packages from the airport and delivering to the hub correct? I'm excited about it. Hoping to make it to full time driver soon. Not sure what the pay is for full time driving starting off, I've heard different things but anything would be better than part time pay right now. Anyway, glad to be here.

Loadsmasher

When you apply for a PH position, after you do the interview and ect. Will they email me if I'm hired or phone me? ( I was able to fill out some tax forms on their site )

I'm new too, just got hired on but in my case I was emailing my HR rep. Got notified thru email, then more information thru phone calls. It will probably vary depending on the person.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Hello everyone! First off, any veterans on here? I am in the transition, still on terminal leave actually and just started working for UPS. I have been unloading trucks for a few days, headed to driver school soon to be an air package driver on Saturdays. From what I understand that's just picking up packages from the airport and delivering to the hub correct? I'm excited about it. Hoping to make it to full time driver soon. Not sure what the pay is for full time driving starting off, I've heard different things but anything would be better than part time pay right now. Anyway, glad to be here.

The Airport shuttle line is just to get you in. Every Air driver in my building was told the same thing, oh yeah you’ll just be going back and forth to the airport.

Yeah right.

Hockey33

I'm new here and currently looking for a job at UPS in Chicago. Does anyone know which hubs/centers in the Chicago land area have a progression from PT handler to FT driver under a 2 yr wait? I want to be a driver but also know I have to get my foot in the door as a PT handler. I recently got out of the Military. I think I can use my gi bill once I become FT but I'm not completely sure.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I'm new here and currently looking for a job at UPS in Chicago. Does anyone know which hubs/centers in the Chicago land area have a progression from PT handler to FT driver under a 2 yr wait? I want to be a driver but also know I have to get my foot in the door as a PT handler. I recently got out of the Military. I think I can use my gi bill once I become FT but I'm not completely sure.
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE - Careers

Loadsmasher

So... I just made it through Intergrad. I have been told I was going to be a Saturday air driver. I'm hoping to make it full time driving, or at least I think. Everyone says they love it, and all the money they make is great. But a few guys I was loading trucks with today was doing nothing but complain about it. I'm just kind of worried about not scratching and failing. I may have an opportunity for another job, I'm not afraid of hard work but I don't want to skip the other job opportunity, invest in being a driver, only to be lied to about how long it will be then fail out for my scratches. I just want to know that its worth it. Obviously it can be done. But just a long road to get there. And I know, not everything that's easy is worth it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm new here and currently looking for a job at UPS in Chicago. Does anyone know which hubs/centers in the Chicago land area have a progression from PT handler to FT driver under a 2 yr wait? I want to be a driver but also know I have to get my foot in the door as a PT handler. I recently got out of the Military. I think I can use my gi bill once I become FT but I'm not completely sure.[/QUOTE

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So... I just made it through Intergrad. I have been told I was going to be a Saturday air driver. I'm hoping to make it full time driving, or at least I think. Everyone says they love it, and all the money they make is great. But a few guys I was loading trucks with today was doing nothing but complain about it. I'm just kind of worried about not scratching and failing. I may have an opportunity for another job, I'm not afraid of hard work but I don't want to skip the other job opportunity, invest in being a driver, only to be lied to about how long it will be then fail out for my scratches. I just want to know that its worth it. Obviously it can be done. But just a long road to get there. And I know, not everything that's easy is worth it.

Take the other job

And don’t worry about your scratches

Link2Us

One year seniority preloader here about to take the DOT next week. I have not been discussed/scheduled for any road test or driving school. I don't think it will be any time soon since there is people with way more seniority than I do right now at my work. So does passing the DOT have any big advantage on the driving bid list?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
One year seniority preloader here about to take the DOT next week. I have not been discussed/scheduled for any road test or driving school. I don't think it will be any time soon since there is people with way more seniority than I do right now at my work. So does passing the DOT have any big advantage on the driving bid list?

What does passing the DOT mean?

upschuck

No. You first have to pass the driving test, then you go to the doctor to get your DOT card.