Greg Sher

Okay... so I literally just started doing package handling this last Wednesday at the Hodgkins UPS, and I worked the whole week. Last night I just sprained my foot. Outside of work. I know there’s the 30 day probational period. Can I call off say for a couple days to a week? Or is that a terrible idea. What should I expect? Am I probably going to get fired?

Calling in is a bad idea. Can u work thru It? Talk to your sup. Be honest . But don't just call in ....

Tell him u really want to work three and your sorry it happened . If u don't get along with your sup or u don't think he will back u up go straight to your lead and tell him. If u r a hard worker they will want u het well soon. But go in do not call I know it's hard.

Hello everyone, new employee here. Almost done with my first week. Im a unloader in a big hub in Texas.
Annnnnd oohhhh boy man. This is some hard ass :censored2:. (But good) Had people on my crew passing out today, me and my team mate got some nods. *I can see why turn overs so high*

Anyway, my goal is to make part time supervisor. (lol there some Cletus looking mother ******* in my hub.) Should not be to hard at all. Anyway, I intend to start a career here. Benefits are very good, lots of good stuff. Ect ect.

So, what is the secret to becoming a full time supe/manager?

Hello everyone, new employee here. Almost done with my first week. Im a unloader in a big hub in Texas.
Annnnnd oohhhh boy man. This is some hard ass :censored2:. (But good) Had people on my crew passing out today, me and my team mate got some nods. *I can see why turn overs so high*

Anyway, my goal is to make part time supervisor. (lol there some Cletus looking mother ******* in my hub.) Should not be to hard at all. Anyway, I intend to start a career here. Benefits are very good, lots of good stuff. Ect ect.

College education

hehe xd

when you get to be a sup, i suggest you go to school. tuition reimbursement :)

g$1

Hi I’m a new employee. I’m starting a new job as a package handler, I’ve heard ups is hard but a great place to work. I’m not in the best physical shape, but I can work fast, heat, heavy boxes, etc. I applied for the preload and that’s the shift I wanted. But they said new hires typically don’t start there and they gave me the midnight shift. I just was wondering what you do in that shift? Unload, load, sort, they weren’t very clear. Also I hear the turnover is high. I want to stick to it and do a good job, but I’m a little nervous. I’ve been employee at other jobs never called in sick, never came in late, I was honest, and made sure to do my work. I just wanted a little more insight about the job.
Thanks

km3

Hi I’m a new employee. I’m starting a new job as a package handler, I’ve heard ups is hard but a great place to work. I’m not in the best physical shape, but I can work fast, heat, heavy boxes, etc. I applied for the preload and that’s the shift I wanted. But they said new hires typically don’t start there and they gave me the midnight shift. I just was wondering what you do in that shift? Unload, load, sort, they weren’t very clear. Also I hear the turnover is high. I want to stick to it and do a good job, but I’m a little nervous. I’ve been employee at other jobs never called in sick, never came in late, I was honest, and made sure to do my work. I just wanted a little more insight about the job.
Thanks

Exactly what they said. You'll either be unloading packages onto the belts, sorting them from the belts to their proper areas, or loading them into trailers to be taken to another destination.

Attendance is big in terms of passing probation. Probably the most important thing. It's pretty rough the first few weeks, but then you get used to it.

specter208

Thanks
Probably have you loading trailers. Will be physically and mentally challenging. It will get really cold and really hot in those trailers. And you will be doing the same thing for a while until you have enough seniority to bid a better job. Follow instructions and be a yes men until you pass probation. Then you can slow down and work more comfortably.

Box Ox

I applied for the preload and that’s the shift I wanted.

Nope. You just think you wanted it. Better off where you are.

Also I hear the turnover is high.

Imagine a lot of turnover on a midnight shift might be the weird hours. Typically wouldn't be able to come straight from a daytime job before the sort like you would if you're a local sorter, or be able to go straight to a daytime job after the sort if you're a preloader.