MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hi I’m a new employee. I’m starting a new job as a package handler, I’ve heard ups is hard but a great place to work. I’m not in the best physical shape, but I can work fast, heat, heavy boxes, etc. I applied for the preload and that’s the shift I wanted. But they said new hires typically don’t start there and they gave me the midnight shift. I just was wondering what you do in that shift? Unload, load, sort, they weren’t very clear. Also I hear the turnover is high. I want to stick to it and do a good job, but I’m a little nervous. I’ve been employee at other jobs never called in sick, never came in late, I was honest, and made sure to do my work. I just wanted a little more insight about the job.
Thanks
Don’t try to handle every package like it’s a carton of eggs you’ll never make it. ...PIVOT , TOSS , PIVOT , TOSS

Partion

When i first started seasonal last year they had me apply for the union and most of my paycheck went to that. Is that common practice or did they just expect me to come back to the company like i am now non seasonally?

Turkleton

There's always women at the pool, baby!
[QUOTE="Packaged Metroid, post: 3591702, member: 73226"

Anyway, my goal is to make part time supervisor. (lol there some Cletus looking mother ******* in my hub.) Should not be to hard at all. Anyway, I intend to start a career here. Benefits are very good, lots of good stuff. Ect ect.

Try to get into a Mail Innovations site. I’ve been with UPS a year, came in as a PT supe, and am already in line to make FT. Without a degree.

Last edited:

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Loaders: Lift with a jerking twist motion, its all in your back with none of it in your legs. Just put the packages where you think they should go. Most importantly, stack out as much as you can, Supes and Managers love that. If a package is too heavy for you to load or you are at the end of the day and a few more parcels come down the slide, just peel that pal right off and presto, it gets sent back to the clerks.
Drivers: When you are falling behind, don't be afraid to put the pedal down to make a little time. Yellow lights mean go faster. When you are delivering a bulk stop, just throw em out the back of the car and drive away. If someone really wants their :censored2: they'll come get it.

So I am on the no re hit list from a hub on east coast. 4 years later I recently opened a new account on ups jobs and was able to get a interview on west coast hub and doing the background check witch was exactly 6 days ago from today. Do you with that will come up that I’m on the no rehire list in the background check from a hub 4 years ago on east coast? Interviewer said the background check takes 3 days and it’s been 6 do you think they passed on me? Thoughts?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I am on the no re hit list from a hub on east coast. 4 years later I recently opened a new account on ups jobs and was able to get a interview on west coast hub and doing the background check witch was exactly 6 days ago from today. Do you with that will come up that I’m on the no rehire list in the background check from a hub 4 years ago on east coast? Interviewer said the background check takes 3 days and it’s been 6 do you think they passed on me? Thoughts?

How come your on the no hire list?

Partion

I was a seasonal before so I got hired in less than a week. Doesn’t look good

I'm cross posting this from another thread.. I think it's valuable information for this thread.

Warning: Novel ahead. Lots of scrolling involved.

This took me a long time to write and some of the safe work methods might not be 100% accurate so double check. Management should have paper copies of everything. Ask before your shift for things you can learn or study when you're at home. They love that, and it shows initiative. If you actually do it, even better!

The best thing you can do to get better at this job is become an athlete. You will anyway at some point. Start eating right and exercise whether it be walking, jogging, cycling, whichever. I skip my 20ish minute car ride to work and swap it for a 6-7 minute bike to work. After wrap I do another ten miles for cooldown and keep heart rate up. If you eat healthy you'll feel good. If you eat bad and drink and have bad habits like cigarettes or drugs, your work will suffer for it and so will your brothers and sisters.

Now, as far as work. Follow your methods and safe work methods. Nobody will give you positive feedback. The best thing you can do is ask other loaders some of their tips and tricks. Some will work for you and some won't, so adjust accordingly.

Work Methods

Always use hand to surface when handling packages. Face the belt at a 45 degree angle and work your way towards the flow. Perform optimal carries. This is when you take an Amazon bubbler, a flat piece of NDA (Next Day Air), and another medium/small into the cars.

You can use the lips of the shelves to help load. You don't have to be holding the package in both hands and place it flat on the top shelf. Put that fcker on the lip and put minimal effort into pushing it up. You can also use the metal lip on the side of the belt to help slide a giant monster back up the belt instead of carrying it.

Always put the label facing out, up, or towards the driver. Keep the area in front of the 1000 shelf clear ("batter's box") so the driver can access their air. If you have to bury packages, bury them the highest HIN first. Please don't put a 3000 behind your 7000s.

See it, say it, write. Car 602 with the Amazon and the blue in 3342. I don't know find something sing song or however you best learn.

Eventually you'll remember the three or four optimal load HINs coming down the belt as you face and work the direction from which the packages are coming.

I dunno that worked for me but find something to help remember which HINs. If you wanna be pro, your optimal carry will have HINS in order so you can drop them on their shelves on your way in, slowly freeing up your hands for the large 1256 that you just got.

Never carry packages for other cars together in your hands. As for remembering cars, find something unique about them. You'll know you're in 338 by the step, 340 with the small load stand in it, and 342 with the new such and such. As you keep working the same pulls you'll remember. It is difficult changing to the other side of the belt in the beginning because everything is "backwards" but it's just the same.

The Eight Keys of Lifting and Lowering

Get close to the object. Work within your power zone (armpits to above kneecap).

Position your feet.

Bend at the knees, keeping the natural curve of your back.

Grasp the object at opposite corners and check for shifting contents.

Lift with a smooth, steady motion. Don't jerk.

Move your feet : step or pivot : don't twist.

Use existing equipment and facilities to assist in the lift and lower.

Keys for Avoiding Slips and Falls

Walk a brisk pace. Walk, don't run.

Establish firm footing.

Don't walk on conveyor rollers, chutes, or slides.

Look before stepping.

Adjust for changing conditions.

Eight Yard Control Safety Rules
"R.O.A.D.K.I.L.L."

Reflective vests are worn by certified employees while in the yard.

Orange cones are used by yard control certified employees while in the lot.

ALWAYS USE DESIGNATED WALKWAYS. ("Follow the yellow brick road.")

Designated break areas used while on break.

Keys pulled from the ignition when you exit the vehicle.

Inspect the vehicle for 360 degree visibility. (lights, headlights, flashers and reflective materials).

Latch seat belt and lower speed while in the yard.

Leave and exit through pedestrian doors.

OTHER STUFF

Don't be an ass, and don't talk smack yet no matter how frustrated you get. This is a hard job but it pays off. If you have nothing else going on right now, you can get another PT job with plans for 100k/yr driving for UPS.

Show up on time.

Work as a team with your coworkers and make everyone's days easier. Thank people, and an apology never hurts if someone grumbles over your flyby.

Maintain egress. This is the minimum 18 or 24 inches (?) you must maintain to have clear pathways. If you're stacked out, it's easy for smalls to fall in these thin pathways. You can also tote smalls but you'll never learn to be fast. It can be a blessing and a curse so you gotta know when you have to.

Stuff will always be in pathways. A slick PAL label will put you on the ground. Always pick up box bands (the plastic strips holding big boxes together). Pick up tape and small pieces of cardboard, old load charts and anything else that is a tripping hazard.

Always be aware of where your feet are going. An absent-minded new guy thought he was in a different car and when he stepped, his toe hit the edge and he broke his face and lost all his front teeth. Moving very fast with heavy things makes falls very very uncomfortable.

Always ask for assistance with a lift. Pivot and move giant boxes on their edges and use their own momentum. Large boxes outside cars (if you gotta stack out) make great tables to put optimal carries on if you had to run back to the belt. It helps me immensely to have a large box in the MFL/MFR sticking out just enough to use the shelf and edge. I love getting these boxes it'll save your back and knees.

Always load RDC last. Keep your work area clean. Always check the top shelf for send agains, even if they look empty at first glance. Use a tote and put every piece of air (usually smalls with a "1"). These are the first pieces the driver has a commit time for or the person gets their money back and the driver gets dumped on. Misloads make drivers break trace (go off their planned daily route) and meet up with other drivers, taking time away from them seeing their kids and having time for the family.

Don't send carpets, shipping tubes, or anything heavy that can hit a scanner in the chest. If you're ever in unload, don't send a very heavy box down three sets of empty rollers. It will take a person out. Set them under the conveyor rollers until the trailer is done and carry them to the slides.

If you're ever pulling an extension set, where conveyor rollers divert the packages you take off the belt to a set of cars, always hold off on smalls. Place them on something flat that can go down the rollers on its own.

Always use three points of contact. Never turn your back to a set of boxes or anything not set safely on the ground or on a shelf. This applies for climbing ladders, getting in and out of vehicles, railings on stairs etc.

I would have broken my toes today if it wasn't for reinforced boots. Get a good pair from Walmart (lol) usually they have some pretty decent shjtkickers.

When you have time, ask your union steward what you need to be careful about with management. Management isn't there to be your friend or someone to talk to or a friend to lean on. Personal things and opinions are best left to yourself for awhile.

Before the sort (when people aren't all crappy), find time to meet with the safety person and ask about the fire exit and drill. Learn to shut the belts off safely and lock them. See if he or she has handouts for safe work methods or yard control. If you wanna keep this job then do your best and keep getting better. This kind of work comes naturally in time as your body and mind adjust.

Make sure to load hazmats and brace them and group/brace different hazmats in different parts of the car. If you ever get a leaker of any kind, stop: don't touch the package, leave the area, and notify a supervisor. Learn where the shower and eye wash station are.

Never sign anything without a union steward present even if "oh its just something everyone does...". I don't even write refuse to sign anymore.

It's incredibly hard to fire a good worker who shows up on time, has a positive attitude, follows safe methods and work methods, and shows improvement.

A showing of gratitude (perhaps tomorrow on a Friday) to someone who's helped you a lot can go a very long way.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm cross posting this from another thread.. I think it's valuable information for this thread.

This took me a long time to write and some of the safe work methods might not be 100% accurate so double check. Management should have paper copies of everything. Ask before your shift for things you can learn or study when you're at home. They love that, and it shows initiative. If you actually do it, even better!

The best thing you can do to get better at this job is become an athlete. You will anyway at some point. Start eating right and exercise whether it be walking, jogging, cycling, whichever. I skip my 20ish minute car ride to work and swap it for a 6-7 minute bike to work. After wrap I do another ten miles for cooldown and keep heart rate up. If you eat healthy you'll feel good. If you eat bad and drink and have bad habits like cigarettes or drugs, your work will suffer for it and so will your brothers and sisters.

Now, as far as work. Follow your methods and safe work methods. Nobody will give you positive feedback. The best thing you can do is ask other loaders some of their tips and tricks. Some will work for you and some won't, so adjust accordingly.

Work Methods

Always use hand to surface when handling packages. Face the belt at a 45 degree angle and work your way towards the flow. Perform optimal carries. This is when you take an Amazon bubbler, a flat piece of NDA (Next Day Air), and another medium/small into the cars.

You can use the lips of the shelves to help load. You don't have to be holding the package in both hands and place it flat on the top shelf. Put that fcker on the lip and put minimal effort into pushing it up. You can also use the metal lip on the side of the belt to help slide a giant monster back up the belt instead of carrying it.

Always put the label facing out, up, or towards the driver. Keep the area in front of the 1000 shelf clear ("batter's box") so the driver can access their air. If you have to bury packages, bury them the highest HIN first. Please don't put a 3000 behind your 7000s.

See it, say it, write. Car 602 with the Amazon and the blue in 3342. I don't know find something sing song or however you best learn.

Eventually you'll remember the three or four optimal load HINs coming down the belt as you face and work the direction from which the packages are coming.

I dunno that worked for me but find something to help remember which HINs. If you wanna be pro, your optimal carry will have HINS in order so you can drop them on their shelves on your way in, slowly freeing up your hands for the large 1256 that you just got.

Never carry packages for other cars together in your hands. As for remembering cars, find something unique about them. You'll know you're in 338 by the step, 340 with the small load stand in it, and 342 with the new such and such. As you keep working the same pulls you'll remember. It is difficult changing to the other side of the belt in the beginning because everything is "backwards" but it's just the same.

Get close to the object. Work within your power zone (armpits to above kneecap).

Position your feet.

Establish firm footing.

Look before stepping.

"R.O.A.D.K.I.L.L."

Inspect the vehicle for 360 degree visibility. (lights, headlights, flashers and reflective materials).

OTHER STUFF

Don't be an ass, and don't talk smack yet no matter how frustrated you get. This is a hard job but it pays off. If you have nothing else going on right now, you can get another PT job with plans for 100k/yr driving for UPS.

Show up on time.

Work as a team with your coworkers and make everyone's days easier. Thank people, and an apology never hurts if someone grumbles over your flyby.

Maintain egress. This is the minimum 18 or 24 inches (?) you must maintain to have clear pathways. If you're stacked out, it's easy for smalls to fall in these thin pathways. You can also tote smalls but you'll never learn to be fast. It can be a blessing and a curse so you gotta know when you have to.

Stuff will always be in pathways. A slick PAL label will put you on the ground. Always pick up box bands (the plastic strips holding big boxes together). Pick up tape and small pieces of cardboard, old load charts and anything else that is a tripping hazard.

Always be aware of where your feet are going. An absent-minded new guy thought he was in a different car and when he stepped, his toe hit the edge and he broke his face and lost all his front teeth. Moving very fast with heavy things makes falls very very uncomfortable.

Always ask for assistance with a lift. Pivot and move giant boxes on their edges and use their own momentum. Large boxes outside cars (if you gotta stack out) make great tables to put optimal carries on if you had to run back to the belt. It helps me immensely to have a large box in the MFL/MFR sticking out just enough to use the shelf and edge. I love getting these boxes it'll save your back and knees.

Always load RDC last. Keep your work area clean. Always check the top shelf for send agains, even if they look empty at first glance. Use a tote and put every piece of air (usually smalls with a "1"). These are the first pieces the driver has a commit time for or the person gets their money back and the driver gets dumped on. Misloads make drivers break trace (go off their planned daily route) and meet up with other drivers, taking time away from them seeing their kids and having time for the family.

Don't send carpets, shipping tubes, or anything heavy that can hit a scanner in the chest. If you're ever in unload, don't send a very heavy box down three sets of empty rollers. It will take a person out. Set them under the conveyor rollers until the trailer is done and carry them to the slides.

If you're ever pulling an extension set, where conveyor rollers divert the packages you take off the belt to a set of cars, always hold off on smalls. Place them on something flat that can go down the rollers on its own.

Always use three points of contact. Never turn your back to a set of boxes or anything not set safely on the ground or on a shelf. This applies for climbing ladders, getting in and out of vehicles, railings on stairs etc.

I would have broken my toes today if it wasn't for reinforced boots. Get a good pair from Walmart (lol) usually they have some pretty decent shjtkickers.

When you have time, ask your union steward what you need to be careful about with management. Management isn't there to be your friend or someone to talk to or a friend to lean on. Personal things and opinions are best left to yourself for awhile.

Before the sort (when people aren't all crappy), find time to meet with the safety person and ask about the fire exit and drill. Learn to shut the belts off safely and lock them. See if he or she has handouts for safe work methods or yard control. If you wanna keep this job then do your best and keep getting better. This kind of work comes naturally in time as your body and mind adjust.

Make sure to load hazmats and brace them and group/brace different hazmats in different parts of the car. If you ever get a leaker of any kind, stop: don't touch the package, leave the area, and notify a supervisor. Learn where the shower and eye wash station are.

Never sign anything without a union steward present even if "oh its just something everyone does...". I don't even write refuse to sign anymore.

It's incredibly hard to fire a good worker who shows up on time, has a positive attitude, follows safe methods and work methods, and shows improvement.

A showing of gratitude (perhaps tomorrow on a Friday) to someone who's helped you a lot can go a very long way.

Again WTf!!! ^^^^^

Newbygirl

I’m still in packet but got dehydrated they r asking me if it’s workman’s Comp I had two great days now dehydrated in the er they told me to go to. So what do I do and can they fire me for it
For drivers: Stay hydrated. Get organized. Always keep your next few stops set up and ready to go on the shelf. Set up the bulk stops at the back on the floor so you can push them right out onto your cart at the stop. Keep your air deliveries, ground deliveries, air pickups, and ground pickups segregated. if you can, concentrate on businesses earlier in the day until you become accustomed to your route. You can always come back for residentials. Get a good flashlight or spotlight for finding house numbers in the dark and so you can see where you're walking. Take note of where you should be along the route at certain times of day to keep things running smooth. When in doubt, call for an air recovery, it's not worth getting back to the building with your air pickups late. Don't deliver late air, don't have missed pieces, don't have accidents or injuries, and follow the methods. As long as you do those four there's not much they can do to you.

For belt workers: Stay hydrated. You will be sore for the first couple weeks but your muscles will get used to it. Work as quick as you can but don't overexert yourself. You have nothing to prove; get help lifting heavier stuff. Make a game out of it: have races, tell jokes, or play jenga; it makes the time go much faster and more enjoyable.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I’m still in packet but got dehydrated they r asking me if it’s workman’s Comp I had two great days now dehydrated in the er they told me to go to. So what do I do and can they fire me for it
I really have no idea. I never had any kind of injury or reported sickness and don't even work there anymore. Sorry.

No. Talk to your doctors and be honest. Before you talk to your management team, call your local union and ask. They'll be able to help you more than anyone here.

Partion

Work Methods

Position your feet.

Establish firm footing.

Look before stepping.

"R.O.A.D.K.I.L.L."

OTHER STUFF

Show up on time.

Tldr