Mat-chew

I got officially hired on Thursday with the conference call etc. I only been driving for 33 days but they keep laying me off,do you think they’re giving me the runaround or will I make book? I only have seven more days to drive hopefully before October 15th. 22.4 hire Has anybody seen this happen before?

JAS2017

I was officially offered the twilight loader position last week and today was supposed to be my first day starting at 5:00. The HR lady who hired me just text me and asked that I come in tomorrow instead of today.
Does this mean there isn’t enough work for the day?
Would I dive right into working or is there a lengthy orientation process?
Any help with these questions and advice for a female loader are appreciated!
This is a very small warehouse ( not sure if that information would be relevant or not)

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I was officially offered the twilight loader position last week and today was supposed to be my first day starting at 5:00. The HR lady who hired me just text me and asked that I come in tomorrow instead of today.
Does this mean there isn’t enough work for the day?
Would I dive right into working or is there a lengthy orientation process?
Any help with these questions and advice for a female loader are appreciated!
This is a very small warehouse ( not sure if that information would be relevant or not)

I work the preload, so not your shift. But Mondays typically run fewer routes here, and have fewer pieces.

This translates directly to management deciding not to work as many people.

You are the low guy on the totem pole, so you are the one that won't work.
Don't worry about it, though. Plenty of work coming up the rest of this week, and you likely won't see much time off as we get towards peak.

As for the advice for a female loader. We aren't really used to girls, and at least in my center seem to have absolutely no idea how to interact with them properly. Here, there is a guy who basically asks out/hits on whoever the new girl is. Every. Single. Time.
Just stay away from the guys that want to get real friendly right at the start. You'll save yourself a headache later on.

Good luck. :)

JAS2017

Thanks for the advice!
I have worked in a farm supply store so I’m not sure these UPS guys could be near as bad as the old raunchy farms I dealt with ;)
Can you or anyone tell me what PM loader hours are like during peak?

SLW

Off-the-street Seasonal driver hire here. There's a bunch of us waiting to do our on-road training, and the sup said we could work preload in the meantime. Is this a good idea? I don't need the $$, and also don't want to eff up my sleep schedule (especially after Integrad night classes last week, I'm just getting back to normal), but I also don't want to seem like a slacker and maybe it would help me get familiar with things at UPS. I'm guessing those mornings would also not count towards my probationary period? What do you think?

KoennenTiger

I got officially hired on Thursday with the conference call etc. I only been driving for 33 days but they keep laying me off,do you think they’re giving me the runaround or will I make book? I only have seven more days to drive hopefully before October 15th. 22.4 hire Has anybody seen this happen before?

Yeah happens all the time. Run scratch five days in a row, don't have any late air, no missed service, and don't crash or get injured and you're fine

SLW

My first day driving went very poorly. Felt extremely incompetent and screwed up a bunch of stuff, and slooooowly. I need to figure out how to better plan ahead and organize, yet many of my issues seem to be with the DIAD. I'm bumping buttons and getting stuck on mystery screens, misreading stuff, not understanding when or when not to listen to the navigation, dropping the damn thing, etc. Does anyone have any tips for using the DIAD? Any kind, doesn't have to be technical stuff.

My first day driving went very poorly. Felt extremely incompetent and screwed up a bunch of stuff, and slooooowly. I need to figure out how to better plan ahead and organize, yet many of my issues seem to be with the DIAD. I'm bumping buttons and getting stuck on mystery screens, misreading stuff, not understanding when or when not to listen to the navigation, dropping the damn thing, etc. Does anyone have any tips for using the DIAD? Any kind, doesn't have to be technical stuff.
Everyone's first day sucked

Unfortunately it probably won't get any better

Good luck

Joseph K

Hey all! I'm going to start working as a part time package handler pretty soon.

My questions are probably the same ones you all are used to seeing all the time, so I figured I'd ask them here instead of making a new thread.

What can I expect in terms of pay? I'm going to be working 5 hours, 5 days a week.

Is the pay weekly?

How is the job of a package handler? Honestly, I don't mind mind numbing, physical labor work. I'm mostly just doing this job to save up so I can move, so I figured it would be perfect.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Hey all! I'm going to start working as a part time package handler pretty soon.

My questions are probably the same ones you all are used to seeing all the time, so I figured I'd ask them here instead of making a new thread.

What can I expect in terms of pay? I'm going to be working 5 hours, 5 days a week.

Is the pay weekly?

How is the job of a package handler? Honestly, I don't mind mind numbing, physical labor work. I'm mostly just doing this job to save up so I can move, so I figured it would be perfect.

We get paid weekly in kibble.
They said 5 hours, they meant 3.5, your actual guaranteed amount.

Preloading is less muscle, and more brains. (Very slightly).
Unloading trailers is where they send the illiterates.

Good luck.

Joseph K

We get paid weekly in kibble.
They said 5 hours, they meant 3.5, your actual guaranteed amount.

Preloading is less muscle, and more brains. (Very slightly).
Unloading trailers is where they send the illiterates.

Good luck.

Thanks! I recall reading that the pay is $12 an hour. Is that true?

Whither

Scofflaw

If you get stuck in a mystery screen and can't figure it out quickly, call your sup. You'll remember how to get out of that screen next time. Some of it is intuitive. A couple weeks into my packet I delivered a COD pkg. Collection screen immediately popped up on the board. I didn't realize it was a return to sender, but the receiving staff caught it haha. If DIAD training covered how to record a case like this, I didn't remember it. Took 30 seconds but was able to figure it out.

Biggest tip when you're stuck is use the escape, big arrow up and big arrow down keys. While they don't work in every situation, e.g., you accidentally hit the CIR soft key but need a signature and have to 1. go through all the steps of recording a CIR then 2. hit CIR soft key again to cancel the CIR and, finally, get the autograph.

Don't worry about your first day. It's jitters. I left my DIAD in the pkg car 3 or 4 times, left my hand cart at a stop and had to recover it later. Hone your methods, learn your area. If you've got the chops to do the job you'll settle in. As long as you're not on a terrible route, scratch will come. Then you'll have to hope mgmt will let you qualify.

SLW

Any tips on backing?! Backing into a spot in the center seems like the most stressful part of the day to me. I never back my personal car into spots even so I basically have no clue what I'm doing and when there's a bunch of other drivers behind me I get freaked out. Tried to watch some YouTube videos, but they're all for cars.