Amazon raises its minimum wage to $15 an hour

Indecisi0n

Anybody who works at ups part time for anything other than to get some side money and tuition re-embursment now and days is an idiot.
Tell the guys I know who started as a PTer and worked their way up. They are now making 90K a year with new homes, cars , retirement , and benefits.

Someone sounds bitter.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Gotta love the union brothers that try to justify keeping other union brothers wages and benefits down.:lol:
No but people complain they should be paid more. They can't support a family. Well don't have a family until you have a job to support said family.

I would have much rather had kids in my mid 20's instead of my mid 30's but it could have put us behind for decades.

Faceplanted

Tell the guys I know who started as a PTer and worked their way up. They are now making 90K a year with new homes, cars , retirement , and benefits.

Someone sounds bitter.
They could have spent that time in school getting a proper degree, getting a tech certificate, or working their way up at the railroad or a utility company and been in a better place.

They might even get to see their kids during the week if they took another career route.

MAKAVELI

No but people complain they should be paid more. They can't support a family. Well don't have a family until you have a job to support said family.

I would have much rather had kids in my mid 20's instead of my mid 30's but it could have put us behind for decades.
That's your personal opinion on others life decisions. The point I'm making is it does not matter why a person may need more $ to support themselves or their family. What matters is if an employee group deserves to make better wages and benefits just as their co workers do in another group. You're just playing into UPS's game of divide and conquer by making the argument why part timers don't deserve better.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
They could have spent that time in school getting a proper degree, getting a tech certificate, or working their way up at the railroad or a utility company and been in a better place.

They might even get to see their kids during the week if they take another career route.

Second generation UPSer here.
Disagree, and would suggest you remember your blessings.

I like physical labor. Not afraid of it, and hopefully never will be.
I enjoy the job. (Currently just a preloader, but driver helping about 20 hours a week)

UPS has given me a very privileged childhood, and I'm grateful for it.
Hopefully, I can pass that gift on to my future kids.

By better place, do you mean in terms of job security?
Pay?
Vacation time?
Insurance?

I promise I'm not trying to argue for a yes vote. Definitely against the upcoming contract. But I think we shouldn't lose sight of just how nice of a life UPS has given us, and our families.

Indecisi0n

They might even get to see their kids during the week if they took another career route.
I make more than 90% of my buddies who have degrees (one of them a masters). The only thing its seems they have over me is about 60-90K in dept to pay back.

You sound like a crying little snowflake. If you don't like the situation you are in then be a man and change it. Sitting here and crying like a baby will get you no sympathy from me. Are there "better" jobs out there? Maybe but how many jobs today are careers with full benefits, job security, pensions, and 401K's? They are few and far between.

Faceplanted

Second generation UPSer here.
Disagree, and would suggest you remember your blessings.

I like physical labor. Not afraid of it, and hopefully never will be.
I enjoy the job. (Currently just a preloader, but driver helping about 20 hours a week)

UPS has given me a very privileged childhood, and I'm grateful for it.
Hopefully, I can pass that gift on to my future kids.

By better place, do you mean in terms of job security?
Pay?
Vacation time?
Insurance?

I promise I'm not trying to argue for a yes vote. Definitely against the upcoming contract. But I think we shouldn't lose sight of just how nice of a life UPS has given us, and our families.
I make more than 90% of my buddies who have degrees (one of them a masters). The only thing its seems they have over me is about 60-90K in dept to pay back.

You sound like a crying little snowflake. If you don't like the situation you are in then be a man and change it. Sitting here and crying like a baby will get you no sympathy from me. Are there "better" jobs out there? Maybe but how many jobs today are careers with full benefits, job security, pensions, and 401K's? They are few and far between.
So you guys are voting yes right? We got it good so let’s be happy for what we got!!!

If your an idiot a degree isn’t gonna change it. If your smart and a people person a degree will get you very far in life.

Faceplanted

Grass is always greener on the other side.

Someone people can't help but hate their lives and think they deserve more.
This forum is literally nothing but people crying and complaining. But because I’m planning on moving on well before retirement and doing what I want to do when I want to do it, I’m crying and hating my life. Makes sense.

You know why they are having trouble getting new drivers? Because the job isn’t worth it any more. If you stop walking with your head to the the ground you would realize there are more “good” options out there besides ups.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Perhaps a decade ago, but now is a great time to find something else if you have skills and connections.

Faceplanted

Perhaps a decade ago, but now is a great time to find something else if you have skills and connections.
Exactly. On top of that, for a lot of people, especially younger people. It’s not all about the money any more. They didn’t fall for the “master plan” that runs USA now and days

Whose more successful?

1. The guy making 95k who has a new house and new car....who doesn’t get to see his family as much as he wants.... works in a hostile environment
2. The guy who makes 60k a year, has a older house with character and older car. Gets to spend time with his family.... works in a great environment

You guys seem to think that money and things some how = success. Sheep.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Exactly. On top of that, for a lot of people, especially younger people. It’s not all about the money any more. They didn’t fall for the “master plan” that runs USA now and days

Whose more successful?

1. The guy making 95k who has a new house and new car....who doesn’t get to see his family as much as he wants.... works in a hostile environment
2. The guy who makes 60k a year, has a older house with character and older car. Gets to spend time with his family.... works in a great environment

You guys seem to think that money and things some how = success. Sheep.
Happiness and work/life balance is not very important in the U.S.A. compared to other countries with higher standards of living.