Brownee

Ok thanks. Does it matter that I’ve done 15 working days and they only filled out 3 days so far?? Supervisor has been real busy so he hasn’t come with me and I’ve been by myself for the last 12 days and nothing else written in my book after day 3. I feel like I’m getting screwed
Keep on driving, stay low and don't have an accident. After 30 days driving, you are no longer an "at will" employee that can be let go without cause.

So how does it work. from what i recall they have two unions at our locations. Due to this I know that I wont be able to get into a driver position in the future because i will be apart of the other union (still teamsters). Though they both get the same exact benefits.
My Question is for all Car Washers/Support Side of UPS. What other positions is available to move into in the future as I gain seniority from pt car washer?
Or should I just stay there in that position.? HR told us that position is very demanding I just didnt know how true the statement is since mostly 99% of the workforce is all on Package & Delivery. Ive been looking all over google and discussion boards regarding PT CarWashers but I dont seem to find any positive reviews.

Second, How does it work in regards to Pay for this Car Washer position vs Package Handler? Does one position top out at a higher rate than the other? How does one Top Out in pay?

Any info is much appreciated!!! Thanks Brothers and Sisters!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
First:
Two unions? Like IAM for mechanics, IPA for pilots, and Teamsters for the package operations plus clerks, etc?
Second:
Didn't HR tell you the pay scale of the positions you mentioned above? Since you'll be under the CBA negotiated by the Teamsters why don't you call the local union hall and make an appointment to talk to the BA that represents your building? I believe you may find your answers there.

It always amazes me that "new hires" traffic this forum but don't know where their local is, don't know the affected steward in their work area, and don't seek answers at their workplace. I'm sure that Brown Cafe was not brought up in their job interview as the source to answer all of these questions.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
First:

It always amazes me that "new hires" traffic this forum but don't know where their local is, don't know the affected steward in their work area, and don't seek answers at their workplace. I'm sure that Brown Cafe was not brought up in their job interview as the source to answer all of these questions.

Yep.

That, and don't even mention a general location.... like a state.

So how does it work. from what i recall they have two unions at our locations. Due to this I know that I wont be able to get into a driver position in the future because i will be apart of the other union (still teamsters). Though they both get the same exact benefits.
My Question is for all Car Washers/Support Side of UPS. What other positions is available to move into in the future as I gain seniority from pt car washer?
Or should I just stay there in that position.? HR told us that position is very demanding I just didnt know how true the statement is since mostly 99% of the workforce is all on Package & Delivery. Ive been looking all over google and discussion boards regarding PT CarWashers but I dont seem to find any positive reviews.

Second, How does it work in regards to Pay for this Car Washer position vs Package Handler? Does one position top out at a higher rate than the other? How does one Top Out in pay?

You are correct on the part that you can't transfer over to being a driver.
No top out, just your annual wage increases.
Let's get your 30 days in first and get qualified
Good luck to you

First:
Two unions? Like IAM for mechanics, IPA for pilots, and Teamsters for the package operations plus clerks, etc?
Second:
Didn't HR tell you the pay scale of the positions you mentioned above? Since you'll be under the CBA negotiated by the Teamsters why don't you call the local union hall and make an appointment to talk to the BA that represents your building? I believe you may find your answers there.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah they have two teamsters unions in our building Local 542 (packages) and Local 480 both teamsters.

I didnt know that was possible. I never worked for the union before. Thanks for that insight. I thought this was my only source for information.

What'dyabringmetoday???

First:
Second:

Imagine if the union actually had real orientation for new hires....lol.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Imagine if the union actually had real orientation for new hires....lol.

"Business agents and/or a steward shall be permitted to attend new employee orientations to talk about the benefits of Union membership. The Employer agrees to provide the Local Union at least one week’s notice of the date, time, and location of such orientation."

If your Local isn't doing it, maybe you should attend a monthly meeting and ask why they are not.

You know.... put them on the spot, in front of the membership.

It's easy to talk tough on the internet. Lol.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

G'mornin' Mr. Bezos!

542thruNthru

Yeah they have two teamsters unions in our building Local 542 (packages) and Local 480 both teamsters.

I didnt know that was possible. I never worked for the union before. Thanks for that insight. I thought this was my only source for information.

Its Teamster local 481. Same as our mechanics, porter and PE.

542thruNthru

You'll be LU 481 and no you will not be able to become a driver.

Just talked to car washer and only other positions you'll be able to move into will be combo(a combination of 2 part time jobs) or porter. Both take many years (around 10) to even be considered

should I just stay there in that position.? HR told us that position is very demanding I just didnt know how true the statement is since mostly 99% of the workforce is all on Package & Delivery. Ive been looking all over google and discussion boards regarding PT CarWashers but I dont seem to find any positive reviews.

Depends on what your plan is. Do you plan on making it a career?

Car wash here gets the same pay as package handler. Same raises also. It's up to you but the car washer I spoke with said that it would be smarter to be a package handler.