Boywondr

The truth never changes.
First:
Two unions? Like IAM for mechanics, IPA for pilots, and Teamsters for the package operations plus clerks, etc?
Second:
Didn't HR tell you the pay scale of the positions you mentioned above? Since you'll be under the CBA negotiated by the Teamsters why don't you call the local union hall and make an appointment to talk to the BA that represents your building? I believe you may find your answers there.

It always amazes me that "new hires" traffic this forum but don't know where their local is, don't know the affected steward in their work area, and don't seek answers at their workplace. I'm sure that Brown Cafe was not brought up in their job interview as the source to answer all of these questions.

Yeah they have two teamsters unions in our building Local 542 (packages) and Local 480 both teamsters.

I didnt know that was possible. I never worked for the union before. Thanks for that insight. I thought this was my only source for information.
[/QUOTE]
Same union different locals?? Brown Cafe is fictional. Better learn the home turf rules at home. This is often a moving target until you get the big picture.

Either this site is messed up or I need to change my medication.

BoxyLady

I'm a very new hire, so I apologize for having to ask such a dumb question, but how do you turn on the cab lights in the package cars? I asked my supervisor, but his response wasn't helpful. Honestly, I haven't had much in the way of training at all - Is this normal?

542thruNthru

I'm a very new hire, so I apologize for having to ask such a dumb question, but how do you turn on the cab lights in the package cars? I asked my supervisor, but his response wasn't helpful. Honestly, I haven't had much in the way of training at all - Is this normal?

You a driver or loader.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
There’s a switch on the dashboard, usually to the right of the steering wheel.

It depends on the make and model of the package car.
Some have a toggle switch above the bulkhead door and another switch on the right hand side of the rear door
The newer vehicles have a few buttons in the middle of dashboard to turn on the lights

oldngray

nowhere special
It depends on the make and model of the package car.
Some have a toggle switch above the bulkhead door and another switch on the right hand side of the rear door
The newer vehicles have a few buttons in the middle of dashboard to turn on the lights
Not a stupid question at all. First time I drove some of the newer trucks I had to hunt around for those switches too

MisplacedRailWorker

651DD03E-4C0D-4308-A56E-0F444709F3D8.jpeg

And yes, that is normal. When I was 18 and went to the interview for package handler I started that same night, because I had work boots on. If you’re uncomfortable with anything don’t be afraid to ask questions.

BoxyLady

My interview group was supposed to, but nobody else was dressed to work. That does make me feel a little better about it though. We didn't watch the videos, the HR lady just read through the test and gave us the answers. I think I had about 3 minutes of actual instruction LOL The job isn't hard, but I know things are going to come up, especially with the scanner systems and whatnot. I suppose they're bridges to cross when you get to them, but I just feel so unprepared.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My interview group was supposed to, but nobody else was dressed to work. That does make me feel a little better about it though. We didn't watch the videos, the HR lady just read through the test and gave us the answers. I think I had about 3 minutes of actual instruction LOL The job isn't hard, but I know things are going to come up, especially with the scanner systems and whatnot. I suppose they're bridges to cross when you get to them, but I just feel so unprepared.

ever heard the term on the job training?

what you’re about to experience gives it a whole new meaning

MisplacedRailWorker

Loader. It's only going on day 5 for me, but I work overnight so I do appreciate the help with lights. Thanks everyone.
I hope it works out well for you; trust me day 500 will come around quick. Just remember why you took the job in the first place. And take advantage of all of any and all benefits you can get... like being in a Union (day 30 in most areas)

Familiarize yourself with your local and worry less; you can get discounts, health insurance, and probably more in benefits than pay in the beginning

Last edited:

BoxyLady

ever heard the term on the job training?

what you’re about to experience gives it a whole new meaning
I feel like you're more right than I want you to be. I just don't want to make a mistake that could've been prevented or at least caught and :censored2: some driver's day up. Especially with the added volume from all the quarantine shopping, they have it hard enough.

MisplacedRailWorker

I feel like you're more right than I want you to be. I just don't want to make a mistake that could've been prevented or at least caught and :censored2: some driver's day up. Especially with the added volume from all the quarantine shopping, they have it hard enough.
Unions are there to help clear the ambiguity for you, so you know what not to do...

@11.9nograd jk