Pizzaguy420

I have a question about drivers pay. I was working preload for about 3 weeks, then was offered a driver positions for the peak season.
Since i didn't work 30 days at preload i still don't have seniority. When asked about the pay i was told this:
1. For in house employees payrate is supposed to be $27
2. For outside the house employees payrate is $21

When i asked HR they said it should be $27 because i am an inside employee, and when asked about seniority they said its up to the union.

SO basically did anyone went through similar situation, just wanted to know what to expect
I was told by HR and in integrad we are 22.4s but for some reason I’ve been getting paid 27.50 even after probation. I was concerned because I want to be at UPS for the long run so I confronted my manager who then called our shop steward to ask how much I’m supposed to get paid. After that, he said there must be a mistake. I’m hoping I’m not seasonal. I been driving since late august.

Pizzaguy420

I’ve been driving since late august. Was told we were all hired on as 22.4 but I’ve been getting paid 27.50 even after probation. Was concerned because I don’t want to be seasonal. I asked my manager, he then called the shop steward to ask how much 22.4s get paid, then he told me there must be a mistake. Really hoping I’m not seasonal. I told him I would love the 27.50 but I want to do things the right way and be at the company for the longrun. Not sure what’s going on

I’ve been driving since late august. Was told we were all hired on as 22.4 but I’ve been getting paid 27.50 even after probation. Was concerned because I don’t want to be seasonal. I asked my manager, he then called the shop steward to ask how much 22.4s get paid, then he told me there must be a mistake. Really hoping I’m not seasonal. I told him I would love the 27.50 but I want to do things the right way and be at the company for the longrun. Not sure what’s going on

You're not seasonal if you started in August. But you're a 22.4, so you might wish you were seasonal by the time its all said and done.

Smokeylt

So, I reported for my first day of training and call tags were for a residential area near where I live and found that it was a mainly residential route. After waiting for an hour for my trainer I was told he had the flu and I would need to start either that Thursday or the next Tuesday.

I started Tuesday but my package car would not start....so we were about an hour late starting with no time to set the truck up at all. (in retrospect that may have a great time to do so, however I was trying to help get the car started) We got to our first stop and found everything had shifted. Long story short my route ended up being mainly commercial on a very busy road that was almost impossible to get out on.

I showed up yesterday and was told there was no trainer available for me as they decided that my route was bad route for training. Told to report back today where I would be put on a different route or possibly a shuttle. Reported this morning and was told to come back tomorrow, soooo we shall see.

Hope to meet some of you soon, STAY SAFE and have a good season

Pizzaguy420

Nope, but as long as you have documentation or a steward witness on your side that you notified management of the discrepancy, you're not on the hook for any overpayment.
I verbally told my manager, who then called the steward infront of me to ask what 22.4s get paid. When he got the answer, he pretty much told me to wait it out.

JckDlry

PVD: Is this true information about insurance? Am I not fully covered even if i personally have full coverage insurance? Do I need commercial insurance to be fully covered driving a personal vehicle for UPS? Thank you for any information.

Smokeylt

So, I reported for my first day of training and call tags were for a residential area near where I live and found that it was a mainly residential route. After waiting for an hour for my trainer I was told he had the flu and I would need to start either that Thursday or the next Tuesday.

I started Tuesday but my package car would not start....so we were about an hour late starting with no time to set the truck up at all. (in retrospect that may have a great time to do so, however I was trying to help get the car started) We got to our first stop and found everything had shifted. Long story short my route ended up being mainly commercial on a very busy road that was almost impossible to get out on.

I showed up yesterday and was told there was no trainer available for me as they decided that my route was bad route for training. Told to report back today where I would be put on a different route or possibly a shuttle. Reported this morning and was told to come back tomorrow, soooo we shall see.

Hope to meet some of you soon, STAY SAFE and have a good season
So I was told Monday to come back Tuesday.Came back Tuesday and they informed me they werw letting me go.
The following is a synopsis of my brief career at UPS.

Hire 11/02/2021​

11:10
Supposed to start. Was told, after reporting and receiving my route and DIAD, that my instructor had the flu.

11.17 Started driving training with my pm road supervisor, and was given a completely different route, ( commercial route) which even my supervisor could not finish on time while driving like a mad man

11/18 sent home after morning meeting.

11/19 sent home after morning meeting

11/21 was sent out as a helper

11/28 I was sent out on my own with the one day of training mentioned above and was assigned a truck which would not start. Was in the 2nd assigned rental waiting for info of person I was to meet to get packages from. Was called back in and assigned a package car to load and deliver irregulars.

I started delivering what was closest to me, but after my first delivery was sent to unload and swap an entire package car with another driver who had a non-working DIAD holder and thus no Map Nav and as I later found out no phone charger.

So after swapping the package cars, I again started delivering what looked closest to me only to find the bulkhead door on that truck worked sporadically. I assumed the fob battery was low. I was not informed before-hand that the door handle had to be pushed, then pulled, which cost me a lot of time. I continued my deliveries, manually entering each address, but the DIAD would not accept the addresses I was inputting.

I called dispatch and told them my phone was going dead even though I had plugged it into the DIAD holder. I was told to go buy a power bank which I did, after waiting in line for what I timed to be 35 minutes.

While attempting to finish delivering my Irregs I found the back door was next to impossible to open but after a lot of slamming it up And down I could open it.

I returned to the hub about 8PM with I think six packages still om my truck. wrote these items up and then punched out.

11/29- Sunday evening (holiday weekend) I went to the hub that evening, and was let in by Brian to get my power bank I left in the car and verify with the mechanic the car got fixed. The mechanic told me he reconnected the ground on the E DIAD cradle, adjusted the back door and had ordered parts for the mechanical issues I had written up

12/5 - 0700 called my supervisor to see if I was working that day but got no answer. I received a text within 15 minutes of calling him that I was not working that day. Having a friend who needed help in Palm Coast I got dressed and went to Walmart to get some supplies he needed. As I was getting on I-95 to Palm Coast I revived a text asking if I could come in. I responded I would be there if needed. They responded yes that I was needed. Being an individual who has always placed my team before my pleasure I turned around, went home and made it in before start time. I completed that day without any issues and did not have any further issues after that any other time I worked.

Even though i have still have not been given a route with EDD I have delivered many packages without delay since learning the DIAD, the sort and selection procedure and how to build a route using Google map.

I could not have been given a worse chance to prove myself that fateful Saturday 11/28 than if I would have been given a car with four flat tires with all the issues experienced and the time they took.

In closing I would like to say I find it very disturbing that a sujpervisor, whom I had never met or spoken with prior to yesterday, 12/9, was the one that informed me that I was being let go. When I asked why, I was told that I had been on a route for two weeks and I was not meeting expectations. Then when I expressed my surprise to hear I even had a route, and had worked 2 weeks straight when I had not even worked 2 days straight, I was told to call Josh back at noon to discuss this further. When I spoke with Josh at noon, I was told it was all about that horrible Saturday mentioned above. I know if I had started when I was suppose to and actually trained with a supervisor this would never have happened.

I realize I am 60 years old but as a retired firefighter I am still in good shape and should have been given the same chance as the younger drivers. It is my firm belief UPS hired too many drivers and now is having ro let them go, which this person admitted, and now I have a black mark on my employment record all because UPS was gambling on being busier than they are and attempting to cut down on the OT they were paying out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I was told Monday to come back Tuesday.Came back Tuesday and they informed me they werw letting me go.

Hire 11/02/2021​

Supposed to start. Was told, after reporting and receiving my route and DIAD, that my instructor had the flu.

11.17 Started driving training with my pm road supervisor, and was given a completely different route, ( commercial route) which even my supervisor could not finish on time while driving like a mad man

11/28 I was sent out on my own with the one day of training mentioned above and was assigned a truck which would not start. Was in the 2nd assigned rental waiting for info of person I was to meet to get packages from. Was called back in and assigned a package car to load and deliver irregulars.

I started delivering what was closest to me, but after my first delivery was sent to unload and swap an entire package car with another driver who had a non-working DIAD holder and thus no Map Nav and as I later found out no phone charger.

So after swapping the package cars, I again started delivering what looked closest to me only to find the bulkhead door on that truck worked sporadically. I assumed the fob battery was low. I was not informed before-hand that the door handle had to be pushed, then pulled, which cost me a lot of time. I continued my deliveries, manually entering each address, but the DIAD would not accept the addresses I was inputting.

I called dispatch and told them my phone was going dead even though I had plugged it into the DIAD holder. I was told to go buy a power bank which I did, after waiting in line for what I timed to be 35 minutes.

While attempting to finish delivering my Irregs I found the back door was next to impossible to open but after a lot of slamming it up And down I could open it.

I returned to the hub about 8PM with I think six packages still om my truck. wrote these items up and then punched out.

11/29- Sunday evening (holiday weekend) I went to the hub that evening, and was let in by Brian to get my power bank I left in the car and verify with the mechanic the car got fixed. The mechanic told me he reconnected the ground on the E DIAD cradle, adjusted the back door and had ordered parts for the mechanical issues I had written up

12/5 - 0700 called my supervisor to see if I was working that day but got no answer. I received a text within 15 minutes of calling him that I was not working that day. Having a friend who needed help in Palm Coast I got dressed and went to Walmart to get some supplies he needed. As I was getting on I-95 to Palm Coast I revived a text asking if I could come in. I responded I would be there if needed. They responded yes that I was needed. Being an individual who has always placed my team before my pleasure I turned around, went home and made it in before start time. I completed that day without any issues and did not have any further issues after that any other time I worked.

Even though i have still have not been given a route with EDD I have delivered many packages without delay since learning the DIAD, the sort and selection procedure and how to build a route using Google map.

I could not have been given a worse chance to prove myself that fateful Saturday 11/28 than if I would have been given a car with four flat tires with all the issues experienced and the time they took.

In closing I would like to say I find it very disturbing that a sujpervisor, whom I had never met or spoken with prior to yesterday, 12/9, was the one that informed me that I was being let go. When I asked why, I was told that I had been on a route for two weeks and I was not meeting expectations. Then when I expressed my surprise to hear I even had a route, and had worked 2 weeks straight when I had not even worked 2 days straight, I was told to call Josh back at noon to discuss this further. When I spoke with Josh at noon, I was told it was all about that horrible Saturday mentioned above. I know if I had started when I was suppose to and actually trained with a supervisor this would never have happened.

I realize I am 60 years old but as a retired firefighter I am still in good shape and should have been given the same chance as the younger drivers. It is my firm belief UPS hired too many drivers and now is having ro let them go, which this person admitted, and now I have a black mark on my employment record all because UPS was gambling on being busier than they are and attempting to cut down on the OT they were paying out.

Ok
If your retired why not be retired go down to McDonald’s and get a cup of coffee or to the mall and walk around like a zombie

Hire 11/02/2021​

I don't understand what you don't understand. If they hired too many, they have to trim the fat. Should've they laid off a FT so you could complete your seasonal term? Too many workers means someone has got to go, turned out it was you.

And you have no mark on your work record, that's in your head. No one cares if you were a seasonal at UPS, this isn't keeping you from the COO job you're looking for.

Rarefish383

Does UPS over hire? Absolutely! They have to. New hire PT's would work a couple hours and ask where the rest room was, and never come back. Part timers in general are not from the greatest labor pool. Who in their right mind will load trailers in the winter , below freezing, with no heaters, and in the summer at 100 plus degrees with a cheap 10 inch fan blowing in, if lucky. Even our 22.2 full time pre loaders were usually over manned by one or two employees per operation. If some one calls in an hour ahead of time, as per the contract, who's going to replace them? An extra. If every one shows up, the sup says, "we have two extras tonight, any one want to go home?" Never have trouble with finding some one that can use a night off on short notice.

lmackey22

Here is a list I compiled of a few things that I have found make my life easier and more comfortable as a Package Handler, Preloader, etc. at UPS. This is, by no means, what I think you must have in order to succeed. It’s just a list of a few things that make my life a little easier. I understand that UPS should provide some of this stuff, but we all know how that goes. I hope this helps someone tolerate the grind a little better. If you have any suggestions or hacks that have made your life as a Preloader easier, let us know!

1.) Work Gloves w/ Grip

- I like the MaxiFlex Endurance gloves because they have better grip, are more durable, and cost less than bigger name brand gloves. Plus, they’re easy to write on the packages with and the scanner fits over them fine. Close second are the Carhartt C-Grip gloves.

2.) Sharpies

- Pro Industrial Strength last longest

- Bullet Point writes best on packages

- Use Retractable, if available. This cuts down on unintentional marking on clothes.

3.) Work Boots

- Composite toe gives you steel toe strength with a lighter weight

- Slip-Resistant is a plus

- Work Insoles made a world of difference in comfort.

4.) Fast-Dry, Sweat-Wicking Thermals, Socks, & Boxer-Briefs

- There’s nothing worse, to me, than being sweaty with clothes soaked, and freezing w/ the bay doors open and a 20 degree wind-chill. These will keep you warm, dry, & happy.

- I like Under Armour BaseLayer, Nike Pro Warm, and Carhartt Force Tech thermals, in that order.

5.) Sports Neck Gaiter

- I like the MISSION gaiters because they stay dry and don’t make you sweat like face masks do. They are lightweight, stay on my face, and have elastic at the top that keeps it snug, so I’m not constantly adjusting it or pulling it up. This is one of those things where it’s worth it to spend the little extra to get the name brand.

6.) Weightlifting Belt

- For those of us who’s back needs a breather. You’ll be happy you used one.

7.) 1/2-Gallon Water Jug

- So I’m not constantly running to the water fountain.

8.) (If Married) Silicone Wedding Band

I’ve tried multiple, and I like GrooveLife’s Zeus the best. It’s sturdier & doesn’t stretch.

9.) Package Tape Dispenser

- Tired of always looking for a tape-gun? Get your own for $10-15. I really like the Uline Top Gun Tape Dispenser.

10.) Replacement straps for Finger Scanners

- In case you get a scanner with a crummy strap. This one is a bit much, but you’ll be glad you have an extra one the day your scanner won’t stay attached.

11.) Extra Towel.

- Gatorade towels work great.

12.) Extra shirt

13.) Backpack

- I like the Carhartt Mono Sling because it’s small, durable, and has lots of compartments to keep my stuff safe & organized.

14.) Smart Watch

- Obviously, not just for work, but it’s fun to keep track of your steps, miles, heart-rate, etc.

15.) Wireless Ear Buds

- I keep one in & one out
- I can’t imagine work without them.
Again, if there’s any more out there, let me know!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I did the pre load for 1 yr , I walked in with my lunch box & a newspaper, and my gloves , wore my UPS issued brown pants so I wouldn't ruin my own. That was it , none of these other things every else seems to need , I survived 9 hour nites without a back pack and all that other crap