BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Thank you. I know I’m bugging everyone with questions. Is it usually an 8 hr day or longer. I’m used to 10-12 hr days driving with my current union job and mostly all night driving.
Thank you
At my center (Local 710, Midwest near Chicago) the hours for feeders are massive right now. We've slowed down in the building, but they've got a sign up sheet for the feeders for extra work.

60 hour weeks for most of them.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
At my center (Local 710, Midwest near Chicago) the hours for feeders are massive right now. We've slowed down in the building, but they've got a sign up sheet for the feeders for extra work.

@djones264 Are you in Chicago? If so did you sign up for road or local? I know that’s 705 and 710 but not sure which one is which

I’ve met a few feeder guys on the road side (white tractors) out of CACH along my travels with the RR... They basically made it clear to me that the OTR part is hiring off the street
Probably not seasonal so you should be good
I would imagine mileage pay not hourly and definitely team driving

Now your seasonal aren’t you?

tenor (1) (11).gif

djones264

@djones264 Are you in Chicago? If so did you sign up for road or local? I know that’s 705 and 710 but not sure which one is which

I’ve met a few feeder guys on the road side (white tractors) out of CACH along my travels with the RR... They basically made it clear to me that the OTR part is hiring off the street
Probably not seasonal so you should be good
I would imagine mileage pay not hourly and definitely team driving
I’m in charlotte. It’s hourly feeder

He said start 21
1yr 23
2 yr 24
3 yr 28.75
4th top pay. Which by time I reach year 3 and 4 will be under new contract so will be a little higher

djones264

60 hrs is good. I came from Abf freight. So 60 hrs week is the norm running Linehaul. My schedule was Monday - Sunday. Off on Mondays on a bid

djones264

I appreciate your honest and very helping responses. Most on here are very helpful. Some just kinda wanna get you confused.
Funny story. Ups package driver delivered to my house today. I was outside. We talked for a second as he had to roll. I said I’m starting Monday at ups as feeder driver. Honest to goodness, he looked at me like I had terd coming out of my ears and all he said was, you got a union card, I opened up my wallet and showed him and then he said congratulations you made the right decision.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I appreciate your honest and very helping responses. Most on here are very helpful. Some just kinda wanna get you confused.
Funny story. Ups package driver delivered to my house today. I was outside. We talked for a second as he had to roll. I said I’m starting Monday at ups as feeder driver. Honest to goodness, he looked at me like I had terd coming out of my ears and all he said was, you got a union card, I opened up my wallet and showed him and then he said congratulations you made the right decision.
Most people here are really good guys. (Or gals).

One of the things you may find out is that a lot of people may treat an outside hire with a lot less respect right off the bat.
UPS has an incredibly strong "promote from PT" culture, and even if management is within their contractual rights to hire outside, some guys may give you a harder time.

It's not your fault. You just got lucky.
Just understand that you may need to prove yourself a little more to some because of that background.

Good luck to you. Feel free to be a regular on the forum. We don't bite too much. :)

djones264

One of the things you may find out is that a lot of people may treat an outside hire with a lot less respect right off the bat.
UPS has an incredibly strong "promote from PT" culture, and even if management is within their contractual rights to hire outside, some guys may give you a harder time.

Just understand that you may need to prove yourself a little more to some because of that background.

Good luck to you. Feel free to be a regular on the forum. We don't bite too much. :)
Thank you. I can understand. Outsider coming in.

Last One In

I have never had an issue with people hired off the street. I have worked with 2 drivers who became full-time drivers after a relative (father and grandfather) retired. Those drivers I immediately disliked. Guaranteed to make their 30 days, no question about it, foregone conclusion. Maybe I am just jealous?

J.D. Hogg

Here is a list I compiled of a few things that I have found make my life easier and more comfortable as a Package Handler, Preloader, etc. at UPS. This is, by no means, what I think you must have in order to succeed. It’s just a list of a few things that make my life a little easier. I understand that UPS should provide some of this stuff, but we all know how that goes. I hope this helps someone tolerate the grind a little better. If you have any suggestions or hacks that have made your life as a Preloader easier, let us know!

1.) Work Gloves w/ Grip

- I like the MaxiFlex Endurance gloves because they have better grip, are more durable, and cost less than bigger name brand gloves. Plus, they’re easy to write on the packages with and the scanner fits over them fine. Close second are the Carhartt C-Grip gloves.

2.) Sharpies

- Pro Industrial Strength last longest

- Bullet Point writes best on packages

- Use Retractable, if available. This cuts down on unintentional marking on clothes.

3.) Work Boots

- Composite toe gives you steel toe strength with a lighter weight

- Slip-Resistant is a plus

- Work Insoles made a world of difference in comfort.

4.) Fast-Dry, Sweat-Wicking Thermals, Socks, & Boxer-Briefs

- There’s nothing worse, to me, than being sweaty with clothes soaked, and freezing w/ the bay doors open and a 20 degree wind-chill. These will keep you warm, dry, & happy.

- I like Under Armour BaseLayer, Nike Pro Warm, and Carhartt Force Tech thermals, in that order.

5.) Sports Neck Gaiter

- I like the MISSION gaiters because they stay dry and don’t make you sweat like face masks do. They are lightweight, stay on my face, and have elastic at the top that keeps it snug, so I’m not constantly adjusting it or pulling it up. This is one of those things where it’s worth it to spend the little extra to get the name brand.

6.) Weightlifting Belt

- For those of us who’s back needs a breather. You’ll be happy you used one.

7.) 1/2-Gallon Water Jug

- So I’m not constantly running to the water fountain.

8.) (If Married) Silicone Wedding Band

I’ve tried multiple, and I like GrooveLife’s Zeus the best. It’s sturdier & doesn’t stretch.

9.) Package Tape Dispenser

- Tired of always looking for a tape-gun? Get your own for $10-15. I really like the Uline Top Gun Tape Dispenser.

10.) Replacement straps for Finger Scanners

- In case you get a scanner with a crummy strap. This one is a bit much, but you’ll be glad you have an extra one the day your scanner won’t stay attached.

11.) Extra Towel.

- Gatorade towels work great.

12.) Extra shirt

13.) Backpack

- I like the Carhartt Mono Sling because it’s small, durable, and has lots of compartments to keep my stuff safe & organized.

14.) Smart Watch

- Obviously, not just for work, but it’s fun to keep track of your steps, miles, heart-rate, etc.

15.) Wireless Ear Buds

- I keep one in & one out
- I can’t imagine work without them.
Again, if there’s any more out there, let me know!
A razor knife and/or box cutter is priceless.
Couldn't work without one.

Thinking about jumping on the Big Brown Ship. I understand some locals handle things differently, I'm looking specifically in Michigan.

I currently work in another union position with a different company, and would like to compare the benefits dollar for dollar. Starting out UPS would be a small pay-cut, but top pay is significantly more. This info would help me determine whether UPS would be a good fit financially until/IF I hit that next pay step. I'm young, but I do have a family so it's important to me.

How much are union dues per pay period?
Health Care Premium costs per pay period?
Pension contributions?
Anything else besides taxes?

Thanks in advance for any info. I did scan the contract, but I didn't see anything specific to dollar amounts for any of these.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thinking about jumping on the Big Brown Ship. I understand some locals handle things differently, I'm looking specifically in Michigan.

I currently work in another union position with a different company, and would like to compare the benefits dollar for dollar. Starting out UPS would be a small pay-cut, but top pay is significantly more. This info would help me determine whether UPS would be a good fit financially until/IF I hit that next pay step. I'm young, but I do have a family so it's important to me.

How much are union dues per pay period?
Health Care Premium costs per pay period?
Pension contributions?
Anything else besides taxes?

Thanks in advance for any info. I did scan the contract, but I didn't see anything specific to dollar amounts for any of these.

can you live on 4 hours a day shuffling cardboard in a hub with a family

That’s where it starts

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

hey @djones264 guess he didn’t make it