burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
In your experience - how consistent is the work? Would I be recalled prior to busy season automatically? What are the chances of working into a permanent driver gig from this summer one?

it’s a crapshoot brah do the best you can and let the chips fall where they may

not sure if I’d give up a good job for a summer vacation job

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
In your experience - how consistent is the work? Would I be recalled prior to busy season automatically? What are the chances of working into a permanent driver gig from this summer one?
HIGHLY unlikely that you would be kept on afterwards.

HR will say otherwise, but it is a lie. Contractually, most places have to hire inside to outisde employees at a high ratio, or not at all.

Whereistheunion

I am going to try to compile a faq page for all new hires.

New UPSers, feel free to post your questions here in this thread if you haven't found your answer elsewhere.
R means RISK when in doubt get out and look. Keep your eyes moving. Always remember all 4 sides to the vehicle.True story 1 day I was circling around a cul-de-sac and their was 2 small children hanging from a tree had I kept going around they would have been playing on top of my hood if not worse.

Had my interview today for seasonal driver. It was the on-road supervisor who administered the interview. I only took the interview because one of the listings I saw was "full-time" and didn't say anything about season/temp. When I got the email from HR it DID say temp/seasonal on it, but I figured I would go to the interview to check it out.

The sup was very straightforward and asked what I wanted out of the job. I told him my current situation with my current dead-end union job and was looking to switch into something else full time. He offered me a job on the spot as a "permanent part-time pre-loader." We went over the job and its hours (20/wk). He said it was probably the best way to become a RPCD, and most who want to make the switch in under 2 years. Is this true? Is pre-load the best way to get on full-time as a RPCD?

I'd love to join UPS, but I don't think I can make it happen working part time for any extended period of time, or going 9 months without benefits. Are there any actual full-time permanent positions I could get hired off the street for that could leverage into driving full time?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Yikes.

I guess working 4 hours is "paying your dues" at UPS.

You guessed correctly. They don’t hire full time off the street. However the wait is much shorter than it once was. 6 months to a year rather than 5 years. And you should thank the supervisor for being honest with you. Many of them would have lied and tricked you into the seasonal job when really preloading is a quicker path to permanent full-time work.

Yolo

Had my interview today for seasonal driver. It was the on-road supervisor who administered the interview. I only took the interview because one of the listings I saw was "full-time" and didn't say anything about season/temp. When I got the email from HR it DID say temp/seasonal on it, but I figured I would go to the interview to check it out.

The sup was very straightforward and asked what I wanted out of the job. I told him my current situation with my current dead-end union job and was looking to switch into something else full time. He offered me a job on the spot as a "permanent part-time pre-loader." We went over the job and its hours (20/wk). He said it was probably the best way to become a RPCD, and most who want to make the switch in under 2 years. Is this true? Is pre-load the best way to get on full-time as a RPCD?

I'd love to join UPS, but I don't think I can make it happen working part time for any extended period of time, or going 9 months without benefits. Are there any actual full-time permanent positions I could get hired off the street for that could leverage into driving full time?
You can take a PT preload job and still bid to be a seasonal driver. And once the season is over you would just go back to preload.

Thistleshifter

Question- still training as preloader. How many hours are they supposed to give you before notifying you of your next shift. I've not done 30 days yet if that makes a difference.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Hard to say, depends on the center. It's all seniority based.
Insurance is great tho. 200 deduct, 1000 max outta pocket. Chiro 80 percent covered, vision, dental..
Union dues aren't much, small percentage each week.

robinsonmeka

I am going to try to compile a faq page for all new hires.

New UPSers, feel free to post your questions here in this thread if you haven't found your answer elsewhere.
I have a question about my schedule. Im new i I started June 24, but the week ending was Saturday. I go Monday correct? Because I haven’t gotten my schedule for week ending July 4

I have a question about my schedule. Im new i I started June 24, but the week ending was Saturday. I go Monday correct? Because I haven’t gotten my schedule for week ending July 4
Schedules, in most places, are to be posted no later than Friday. Find out where they post this, look at it every week. For now, I'd show up Monday morning.

find out who your steward is, ask him/her what you need to know to get through your probationary period, then join the union as soon as you can. Good luck.

Maqjang

Hi. I'm new here. Just start today. so I'm confused how to exactly clock in or clock out. some guy there said we can do it online to in upsers, and some say just said to the supervisor our time in and out? So how is exactly to clock in and clock out?

boxerdan

Hi. I'm new here. Just start today. so I'm confused how to exactly clock in or clock out. some guy there said we can do it online to in upsers, and some say just said to the supervisor our time in and out? So how is exactly to clock in and clock out?
Assuming youre not a driver, you either punch in and out on a time clock or more likely the time clock is broken and your supervisor will have a sheet where your time is written down. Usually you write your own time down, but I've had supervisors that write it down themselves. I recommend taking a picture of the sheet (and making sure the supervisor sees you taking it) I've found that keeps them honest and you can prove manipulation when (not if) it occurs. You can check the time card on upsers, but at least for me it only shows up at the end of the week (ie Sunday morning I can see the previous week's time card).

Dubl51

Just an introduction. Started this week as a part time package delivery driver. Completely changing careers. Did some union work prior to but switched to management...got burnt out from management. Decided to kind of "start over" here.

Came for the pay and bennies ... Have a fairly good grasp of what's expected and how hard the job is.

Just hoping to get consistent hours stay safe and get paid.

Just an introduction. Started this week as a part time package delivery driver. Completely changing careers. Did some union work prior to but switched to management...got burnt out from management. Decided to kind of "start over" here.

Came for the pay and bennies ... Have a fairly good grasp of what's expected and how hard the job is.

Just hoping to get consistent hours stay safe and get paid.
Good luck but you're definitely get burnt out here too