UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is working as a package handler really that hard? I went on a facility tour to meet with the manager and talk about the job as a package handler. He pretty much guarantees full time driver or supervisor after one year which is great. But he also goes off about how hard being a package handler is and how most people just quit. Almost to the point where he makes it seem impossible. Like if you haven't done physical labor within the last 2 weeks you're pretty much screwed. Is this true? Or is he just trying to scare people away? I want to be a full time driver and I am willing to deal with the crappy pay, hours, and hard work if it means having a career. I just want to make sure I'm stepping up to the right plate. Thoughts?

UPS wastes a lot of time and money hiring PTers who quit within a very short period of time. The sup was trying to paint an accurate picture of just how tough this job can be.

Is working as a package handler really that hard? I went on a facility tour to meet with the manager and talk about the job as a package handler. He pretty much guarantees full time driver or supervisor after one year which is great. But he also goes off about how hard being a package handler is and how most people just quit. Almost to the point where he makes it seem impossible. Like if you haven't done physical labor within the last 2 weeks you're pretty much screwed. Is this true? Or is he just trying to scare people away? I want to be a full time driver and I am willing to deal with the crappy pay, hours, and hard work if it means having a career. I just want to make sure I'm stepping up to the right plate. Thoughts?

It's non-stop muscle strain for 4ish hours a day so you'll be feeling it regardless but it's better if you're used to it. Soon as you start working again, though, you'll probably forget you're in pain...so it's about dealing with it throughout your daily life after work that's the issue. As a current package handler that got the job recentlyish, I can guarantee that it gets better once you feel you understand what's expected of you and that your supervisor will dictate how bad of a time you have after that point because that person probably understands your limits.

One tip as a loader...if that's what you're doing...get your boxes loaded ASAP and try to make sure you always have a clear walkway to the outside of your trailer all the time no matter the trailer your sup puts you into (you might get a truck that gets loads of big, heavy boxes or random things entirely). Might seem obvious but I can't imagine anyone that hasn't gotten comfortable working at a certain pace...which might lead to the unfortunate situation of you being flooded under cardboard, which honesty is probably what leads to people quitting once they find out no one will help them (unless it's about time for the shift to end).

Uh, some other things...don't forget to abuse your first month's status as a complete newbie to ask questions if you don't understand how something works (rollers, reset your scanner, etc.)...dress comfortably with good pair of gloves and boots...ALWAYS remove misloads immediately if possible or suffer some chastisement.

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
Newbie question here...I just passed drivers class last week and start with my mentor on Tuesday. How long do you work with a mentor before being set free on your own? I'll be part time air delivery. Any other advice for a new gal?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Newbie question here...I just passed drivers class last week and start with my mentor on Tuesday. How long do you work with a mentor before being set free on your own? I'll be part time air delivery. Any other advice for a new gal?
Go to college no matter the circumstance

Blackstream

They did that in my walkthough ~7 years ago when I got hired. They'll hire basically anyone, but they're trying to filter out people that can't or won't do the job, and part of that is the initial walkthrough where they basically try and scare you off. If you get scared off, you probably couldn't handle the job, either because you are actually too weak, or you're not mentally tough enough to handle the demands of the job.

Everyone thinks they can handle themselves no problem if it's for a good job, but once you're buried in boxes it weeds people out fast. A ton of the people that get hired on are gone within the first few months often on their own accord.

The bad news: Yes it's very physically demanding. Fit or not, you're probably not used to the work. It's almost worse if you're fit because there's a pretty high risk for injury early on before you figure out what you're doing, and if you're fit, you'll be able to move much faster, but if you're twisting your back a lot and :censored2:, you might hurt yourself. You'll be moving a lot of boxes constantly that weigh up to 70 lbs, that are sometimes in very awkward shapes, and they'll want you to do it quickly.

There's also a lot of mental stress. There'll be pressure for you to get your job done quickly, so you can go home, yet :censored2: will be backed up on you, often times no matter how fast you go. You'll have to work with people that make your job harder, supervisors that don't know :censored2: about the job you're doing and make stupid decisions, and people that :censored2: you over in the process of trying to do their job. I've seen the nicest people just lose their :censored2: sometimes when things are particularly bad.

The good news:

Eventually your body will catch up. You'll learn to move efficiently to use as little energy as possible while still moving quickly which'll result in you using like a quarter of the effort and going twice as fast as someone else that's new. Your muscles will build endurance to the point that you're no longer getting sore or even tired (as long as you eat and sleep properly). And the job will stop being stressful to you as you start seeing the big picture that it's just not worth getting mad over. Everyone just wants to go home, and it's not really that big of a deal if it takes a little bit longer to finish up or you have to stop the belt as long as you're doing your best. Eventually the job will feel easy as :censored2:, and you'll probably find yourself thinking that it would be the easiest job in the world if other people just did their jobs better (although the reality is a bit more complicated than that).

You kind of see this effect with an overweight person that joins ups. At first they lose a ton of weight for the first few months as they're working way harder than they need to, then they start figuring the job out and it comes back. But they're not worse of a worker as they're actually going faster than when they first started, they just eliminated unnecessary movements and learned how to work with the packages (and got stronger).

The secret bad news:

Once you get to this point, you gotta take care of yourself for the long term because now you gotta worry about the kind of injuries that come after doing the job for years. Pay attention to the methods, especially 'step or pivot, don't twist', don't :censored2: up your back, make sure you squat versus bending over, etc. If your body starts complaining, pay attention to what you're doing and figure out if you need to change something up, do something different. As a sorter I got really close to injuring my wrists, back, and shoulders multiple times until I started eating more protein and figured out a sorting style that put as little stress on my body as possible (it's basically a very active steppy style that uses body momentum as much as possible to move stuff around).

I went to a one on one interview with the person that does the hiring today. He told me once again that the job is incredibly difficult and very physically demanding. (Package handler) He told me he isn't quite sure if I am cut out for the work. He told me to think it over tonight and reach out to him tomorrow if I want the job or not. So i'm gonna ask one more time. Is it really that hard? Or can someone who is serious about the job and serious about working there way up get through it? I want to become a driver but at the same time I don't want to get myself into something that I can't handle. I have to work 8 months to a year as a package handler and then I can become a driver. Should I do it?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I went to a one on one interview with the person that does the hiring today. He told me once again that the job is incredibly difficult and very physically demanding. (Package handler) He told me he isn't quite sure if I am cut out for the work. He told me to think it over tonight and reach out to him tomorrow if I want the job or not. So i'm gonna ask one more time. Is it really that hard? Or can someone who is serious about the job and serious about working there way up get through it? I want to become a driver but at the same time I don't want to get myself into something that I can't handle. I have to work 8 months to a year as a package handler and then I can become a driver. Should I do it?
If u handle mass chaos and over demanding bosses with unrealistic expectations. If you want to be their bitch and when neccesary fight back through the union and then have a microscope on you then go for it.

They did that in my walkthough ~7 years ago when I got hired. They'll hire basically anyone, but they're trying to filter out people that can't or won't do the job, and part of that is the initial walkthrough where they basically try and scare you off. If you get scared off, you probably couldn't handle the job, either because you are actually too weak, or you're not mentally tough enough to handle the demands of the job.

Everyone thinks they can handle themselves no problem if it's for a good job, but once you're buried in boxes it weeds people out fast. A ton of the people that get hired on are gone within the first few months often on their own accord.

The bad news: Yes it's very physically demanding. Fit or not, you're probably not used to the work. It's almost worse if you're fit because there's a pretty high risk for injury early on before you figure out what you're doing, and if you're fit, you'll be able to move much faster, but if you're twisting your back a lot and :censored2:, you might hurt yourself. You'll be moving a lot of boxes constantly that weigh up to 70 lbs, that are sometimes in very awkward shapes, and they'll want you to do it quickly.

There's also a lot of mental stress. There'll be pressure for you to get your job done quickly, so you can go home, yet :censored2: will be backed up on you, often times no matter how fast you go. You'll have to work with people that make your job harder, supervisors that don't know :censored2: about the job you're doing and make stupid decisions, and people that :censored2: you over in the process of trying to do their job. I've seen the nicest people just lose their :censored2: sometimes when things are particularly bad.

The good news:

Eventually your body will catch up. You'll learn to move efficiently to use as little energy as possible while still moving quickly which'll result in you using like a quarter of the effort and going twice as fast as someone else that's new. Your muscles will build endurance to the point that you're no longer getting sore or even tired (as long as you eat and sleep properly). And the job will stop being stressful to you as you start seeing the big picture that it's just not worth getting mad over. Everyone just wants to go home, and it's not really that big of a deal if it takes a little bit longer to finish up or you have to stop the belt as long as you're doing your best. Eventually the job will feel easy as :censored2:, and you'll probably find yourself thinking that it would be the easiest job in the world if other people just did their jobs better (although the reality is a bit more complicated than that).

You kind of see this effect with an overweight person that joins ups. At first they lose a ton of weight for the first few months as they're working way harder than they need to, then they start figuring the job out and it comes back. But they're not worse of a worker as they're actually going faster than when they first started, they just eliminated unnecessary movements and learned how to work with the packages (and got stronger).

The secret bad news:

Once you get to this point, you gotta take care of yourself for the long term because now you gotta worry about the kind of injuries that come after doing the job for years. Pay attention to the methods, especially 'step or pivot, don't twist', don't :censored2: up your back, make sure you squat versus bending over, etc. If your body starts complaining, pay attention to what you're doing and figure out if you need to change something up, do something different. As a sorter I got really close to injuring my wrists, back, and shoulders multiple times until I started eating more protein and figured out a sorting style that put as little stress on my body as possible (it's basically a very active steppy style that uses body momentum as much as possible to move stuff around).

Thank you so much for this! I'm actually a girl and just got interviewed yesterday.
Like what you have said about them, hiring anyone but filtering those who can't or won't do the job, I'm worried. I really want this job as to what I deeply expressed to the interviewer/HR rep but they might see me as incompetent (or something). I'm a hard worker, to be honest. I really wouldn't might being a package handler because I actually see this as a work out. And with the benefits (tuition reimbursement), I would be able to help my parents. Thanks again.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Thank you so much for this! I'm actually a girl and just got interviewed yesterday.
Like what you have said about them, hiring anyone but filtering those who can't or won't do the job, I'm worried. I really want this job as to what I deeply expressed to the interviewer/HR rep but they might see me as incompetent (or something). I'm a hard worker, to be honest. I really wouldn't might being a package handler because I actually see this as a work out. And with the benefits (tuition reimbursement), I would be able to help my parents. Thanks again.
The work is easy as pie. Best way to make it through is having backbone and ALOT of patience. U will feel overwhelmed during ur first 30 days expecially if put in loading with the packages falling of the rollers and sups yelling to pick up the pace. Thoughts will go through your head the first 30 days knowing that you'll start at $10.20 with the kind of work you are doing for a few hours

The work is easy as pie. Best way to make it through is having backbone and ALOT of patience. U will feel overwhelmed during ur first 30 days expecially if put in loading with the packages falling of the rollers and sups yelling to pick up the pace. Thoughts will go through your head the first 30 days knowing that you'll start at $10.20 with the kind of work you are doing for a few hours

Thank you for the reply! I'm actually a busser/host at a known restaurant as my other job so I know how to deal with patience (whenever it's a slow or a busy day). With regards to that, I definitely like bussing since I like being organized and clean. And also, I do not mind carrying plates and dirty dishes on a daily basis. I like the thought of being under someone else's control as well, lol. I seriously do not mind since I only get $5.50 hourly for my current job.

I'm trying not to lose hope and I'm staying positive. My application status has changed to on-file with Loader/Unloader - Hub position and to what I have read in this forum, after a week of lurking, is that I may just be on a waitlist. I may have even sounded so persistent to the HR rep because I asked stuff about if I'll be informed if I don't get the job. She did tell me that I may have to wait until next Friday for a call from the supervisor. Oops, sorry if I talked a lot. Thanks!

Future

Victory Ride
IMG_0710.JPG

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Is Stringer Bell coming to UPS with you also?