burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
751E9C2E-DA81-4FAA-B7D5-88F97A8EA293.jpeg
What kind of dog?

Matthew Mau

Hello I am a new employee and work for UPS air ramp on the Honolulu air port. I have a questions about the definition of "job abandonment"; what is the definition in UPS terms for job abandonment? The reason why I ask this because management use's this term often.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hello I am a new employee and work for UPS air ramp on the Honolulu air port. I have a questions about the definition of "job abandonment"; what is the definition in UPS terms for job abandonment? The reason why I ask this because management use's this term often.

It means that you punched out and left without being cleared to leave.

Matthew Mau

It means that you punched out and left without being cleared to leave.

Ok a bit of backstory I am new to the USP system and from what I understand that I am to work 5 hours and 5 days a week. A quote from from the hiring
"UPS is hiring individuals to work as part-time Package Handlers. This is a physical, fast-paced position that involves continual lifting, lowering and sliding packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. Part-time employees usually work 3 ½ - 4 hours each day and workdays can vary (Monday – Friday) or (Tuesday – Saturday) depending on the building needs. Package Handlers typically do not work on holidays. Package Handlers receive a competitive hourly rate and also an attractive benefits package. Please note that these opportunities are part-time only working approximately 17 1/2 – 20 hours per week." This is the position I applied for and understood at the time that working 5 maximum a day was needed. The option to work more is giving but not forced. I can understand that if help is need I am willing to help. But management is calling it "volun-told" on what is being able to stay (basically its being told but they changed it to sound like volunteer). In the state of hawaii the law is if you work more then 32 hours a week for 1 month the employer is to give insurance.

If this was going to be a full-time job I would have made preparations to accommodate my family and me going to school for a degree. I am not trying to make an enemy with management but information is need for me to do things in my life. Keeping me more then 5 hours causes problems for my life outside and forcing me to do something that I did not agree too doesn't make me happy. Management on the ground fails to communicate with us what is needed and what is going on for the job. I have had a crash course of how to do things out on the air ramp, meaning a 6 week course was taught to me in a 2 1/2 time to understand what are the do's and don't.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Ok a bit of backstory I am new to the USP system and from what I understand that I am to work 5 hours and 5 days a week. A quote from from the hiring
"UPS is hiring individuals to work as part-time Package Handlers. This is a physical, fast-paced position that involves continual lifting, lowering and sliding packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. Part-time employees usually work 3 ½ - 4 hours each day and workdays can vary (Monday – Friday) or (Tuesday – Saturday) depending on the building needs. Package Handlers typically do not work on holidays. Package Handlers receive a competitive hourly rate and also an attractive benefits package. Please note that these opportunities are part-time only working approximately 17 1/2 – 20 hours per week." This is the position I applied for and understood at the time that working 5 maximum a day was needed. The option to work more is giving but not forced. I can understand that if help is need I am willing to help. But management is calling it "volun-told" on what is being able to stay (basically its being told but they changed it to sound like volunteer). In the state of hawaii the law is if you work more then 32 hours a week for 1 month the employer is to give insurance.

If this was going to be a full-time job I would have made preparations to accommodate my family and me going to school for a degree. I am not trying to make an enemy with management but information is need for me to do things in my life. Keeping me more then 5 hours causes problems for my life outside and forcing me to do something that I did not agree too doesn't make me happy. Management on the ground fails to communicate with us what is needed and what is going on for the job. I have had a crash course of how to do things out on the air ramp, meaning a 6 week course was taught to me in a 2 1/2 time to understand what are the do's and don't.

Oops.

Brownnie

I'd like to thank you all for the great help and good guidence.

Today I received a Teamster-UPS National 401(k) tax deffered savings plan card. Please excuse my ignorance but may I ask, what does this mean? Am I being considered to stay longer with UPS (I'm seasonal) ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Matthew-----air ramp employees had a 3 hour daily guarantee and, for the most part, will be held to that amount, with the rare exception due to weather or mechanical delay; however, during Peak, the philosophy is all hands on deck and you stay until the work is done. Yes, that does mean that adjustments must be made at home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'd like to thank you all for the great help and good guidence.

Today I received a Teamster-UPS National 401(k) tax deffered savings plan card. Please excuse my ignorance but may I ask, what does this mean? Am I being considered to stay longer with UPS (I'm seasonal) ?

It means that you have been automatically enrolled in the 401k with a 3% contribution rate. You will have to go online to reduce that to 0% if you do not wish to participate.

No one here can answer your last question as none of us work at your location.

Hey all, new loader here. UPS makes it a point to wear shoes with sturdy leather uppers however ive seen a handful of guys including some sups wearing mid top hiking shoes that seem to be made out of suede. I gotta say they look super comfortable and I'd love to grab a pair. Has UPS made an unofficial exception for these shoes or are the guys wearing them likely pressing their luck? Thanks

Last edited: