Ragan228

So what does that mean? Is that some shady tactic to get loaders in the door. I made it clear that’s not position I am applying for. Don’t see why they would send me to get my DOT card already if that was the case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure if this was covered or not. I am currently in the process of getting hired on as a cover driver (part-time). After having to go back on and finish some stuff on the application (for the background check). The position had changed to loader/unloader. HR warned me about this ahead of time and said they just code cover drivers that way and that I am in fact applying as a cover driver. Is this normal practice?

Yes....you will be on road as needed and on the preload when not. They will tell you the day before what you will be doing the next day. There may be days where you do preload and then go on road for a few hours running off bulk stops or resi splits.

I just got hired as a 22.4. I was reading the National Master Agreement trying to see if this is somehow a seasonal/temp position. Volume is crazy in my region, and the ORS told me that they expect it to get busier. Is this position solid because I am hired outside of peak? Or is this a backdoor way for them to hire temp drivers during this surge then DQ me from something silly if/when volume goes down?

Ragan228

Yes....you will be on road as needed and on the preload when not. They will tell you the day before what you will be doing the next day. There may be days where you do preload and then go on road for a few hours running off bulk stops or resi splits.
Thank you, from my understanding, I am not guaranteed 40 hours. Which is fine, I understand that I need to put my time in there. But is doing pre-load optional? Or can you be let go for not taking it? Only wondering since the hours are much different than driving and make not always work with my schedule.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thank you, from my understanding, I am not guaranteed 40 hours. Which is fine, I understand that I need to put my time in there. But is doing pre-load optional? Or can you be let go for not taking it? Only wondering since the hours are much different than driving and make not always work with my schedule.

If preload was optional nobody would show up

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The 22.4 combination driver was created to help both the preload and driver groups. Yes, you would be let go if you refused to work the preload when "asked" to do so.

And, no, you are not guaranteed 40 hours.

Imi

I’m not sure if here is the best place to ask about what I’m about to say: I started abt a month before last peak season in Nassau NY. Long story short after peak they laid me till March . Right about time the Corona situation gee serious BUT not in the center I was suppose to work. Since then they are sending me to a building 45miles away from where I live(I get paid for travel time,btw. Which is good lol) , now I got 47 days, no accident no injury and even scratching the rout but still no promotion call. The Nassau center manager said bcz I was not working there the entire time they have no control on what I did so far. If I want to make book I have to go thru Hampton center and stay there ( which I’m ok with that) but the Hampton Manager is saying I am not their employee so he can not do anything for me. I am confused all other new trainees with me made book but me. if some one can help me what should I do ?

brownornot

Hello all. New to the brown world. Quick question for any current or retired Minnesota drivers. Would any of you say Three Rivers or Maple Grove is a better place to work then the other? Driving routes/supervisors/anything?? I just found out they are ran out of the same building and are both hiring for the 22.4 overworked under payed drivers. Any suggestions would be great.

DblsTrpls

Hello, all! Have an opportunity to come in as a feeder driver off the street. Not sure if it’s for regular/full time employment, or just to cover vacations. Anyone in Michigan, or whichever contract applies to the Midwest, know what the entry level wage is?

542thruNthru

Hello, all! Have an opportunity to come in as a feeder driver off the street. Not sure if it’s for regular/full time employment, or just to cover vacations. Anyone in Michigan, or whichever contract applies to the Midwest, know what the entry level wage is?
Screenshot_20200609-155725_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Tucker88

Banned
I start my job as a package car driver this coming Monday. I was wondering what everyone puts there lunch in? (Backpack,cooler)and do people find it easier to have a thermos? I know there isn’t a lot of room in the truck and I would prefer to know what the majority of the people do. Thanks

Miabrwn2u

Sup gents! New to the site and trying to gather some info regarding bases down here in The Miami area..Ive been reading to get some info as what I’m in store for as a preloader since I start tmrw. But my Eventual goal is make this opportunity a career and become Package driver.. my question is how long would it usually take down here in miami particularly the Hialeah hub?

Pseudonym

I start my job as a package car driver this coming Monday. I was wondering what everyone puts there lunch in? (Backpack,cooler)and do people find it easier to have a thermos? I know there isn’t a lot of room in the truck and I would prefer to know what the majority of the people do. Thanks

I've yet to find time for a real lunch since I started 2 weeks ago. I just bring some granola bars/apples to inhale when I find a free second. Most importantly, bring more water than you think you'll need.

freehoodies

The 22.4 combination driver was created to help both the preload and driver groups. Yes, you would be let go if you refused to work the preload when "asked" to do so.

And, no, you are not guaranteed 40 hours.

Hey I checked the NMUPSA and I found conflicting info
Article 22.4 section 5 states

5. All 22.4 combination drivers shall be guaranteed eight (8) consecutive hours of straight time pay per day, if reporting as scheduled. All 22.4 combination drivers shall work a five (5) consecutive day schedule of Tuesday through Saturday or Wednesday through Sunday. This paragraph shall supersede any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject.

Did I misread that? I'm new to the job im just confused by all this contract stuff

churn n’ burn

I use a backpack cooler in the warmer months and just a backpack when it's cold. Granola bar and a banana in the AM, PB & J for lunch. If you're lucky you may have time to stop somewhere for food, but usually I am eating between stops. Always, always have water. I bring bottles because my tap is polluted but lots of guys have a thermos. I may fill one up with coffee if it's one of those days, it will sit in my backpack. Anything not in your backpack or strapped down is going to roll around. Good luck