Bigdog12

The helper phones aren't that bad,if you are one of the ones that can set up your truck, give the helper the packages let them run them, you can tap on the stop and hit continue, select the packages and sheet them without scanning them. its super quick if it works, sometimes it doesnt lol

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Can we as drivers login to a phone using our own UPSer account?

This is also what I've been doing. All the helpers I've had haven't been able to log into the phone. One was even able to log into the upsers.com site on her personal phone no problem, but on the helper phone it kept saying wrong password. So I log myself in. Works fine. And the phone is excellent IMO. Only problem I have with it is not being able to override level 4 deliveries.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is also what I've been doing. All the helpers I've had haven't been able to log into the phone. One was even able to log into the upsers.com site on her personal phone no problem, but on the helper phone it kept saying wrong password. So I log myself in. Works fine. And the phone is excellent IMO. Only problem I have with it is not being able to override level 4 deliveries.
What is a “level 4” delivery?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Level 4 deliveries are stops that you cannot DR, you're supposed to get a signature. The problem is, my area is industrial and the entire area was designated as level 4 a long time ago to stop people from DRing businesses. Well an entire new complex of residences was built in the middle of that area, but those are labeled level 4 even though it's a gated, safe area to DR in. Ive asked the dispatcher to change just that area to level 3 but he still hasn't done it. So I override those and DR them.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Anyone else get the helper phones that they is as diads? Haha what a joke these things are...

Management "these phones are way easier to use"

First thing you need to do is have them create a upers account online. Takes forever. And doesn't work half the time.

Then they password protected the phones so they have to enter every time they open the phone.

The batteries die half way through the day.

They don't pull stops out if your board when they scan something with the phone.

Seeing the old guys with these things is priceless

I'll stick to (timecard) (helptime) (done).....how are these phones simpler? They could have saved money on the phones and just hired some more drivers. I would love to meet the dip:censored2: who came up with this idea.
I have never put one stop on these
I take one out everyday can not get logged in and bring it back
Last year they pushed us hard to make them work this year they basically are decoration in the diad room

DiadDude

DIAD IS STILL SUPERIOR.
DIAD is still a superior tool for users who have training and experience with the DIAD. The DIAD still has more functionality than the phone does as well. The phone is meant to be a tool for new users to get up to speed quickly and be productive with nearly 0 training.

In the next year, the gap between the phone and the DIAD will narrow significantly. The software that is on the phone today will be the basis for your next DIAD. I hope that by next peak you'll think you were crazy to have ever felt this way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
DIAD IS STILL SUPERIOR.
@DiadDude
I have been using a phone as a substitute DIAD for several weeks now due to the battery in my DIAD not being able to survive a full shift. So I can offer an informed opinion about how they compare side by side.
I will say that the DIAD is marginally faster, but there are actually some things about the phone that are superior, such as having the ability to record a package without having to physically scan it.
Another advantage of the phone is that you dont have to listen to the constant beeping and do the extra keystrokes if you have multiple Surepost packages for stop that also has CPAD notes. In this respect it is actually faster than a DIAD.
The biggest issue I have with the phone is the cumbersome log-in procedure, and the tendency for the app to crash at least once per day. But I am sure there are easy fixes for that.
A lot of drivers in my building warmed up to the phones when they realized that you can switch back to RDO with them. I hope this feature continues to be available.
The phone is clearly superior to the DIAD in regards to how easy it is to train a helper to use one. It is far more intuitive than a DIAD.
If you took my DIAD away and forced me to work a 13 hour day with a phone, I wouldn’t be thrilled about it but I would be able to function adequately and get my route done.
If forced to choose I would much rather have a phone with RDO than a DIAD with ODO.
Overall, I would give the phone a grade of B-.

specter208

DIAD is still a superior tool for users who have training and experience with the DIAD. The DIAD still has more functionality than the phone does as well. The phone is meant to be a tool for new users to get up to speed quickly and be productive with nearly 0 training.

In the next year, the gap between the phone and the DIAD will narrow significantly. The software that is on the phone today will be the basis for your next DIAD. I hope that by next peak you'll think you were crazy to have ever felt this way.
they could put them in a custom case and make it look like a DIAD atleast and not like a Samsung Galaxy.

ColdHarvest

The phones are BA. The DIAD is like an aircraft carrier. Obsolete, clunky, dumb.

If I had been allowed to use a phone during qual, I'd have scratched on day 1.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
My cons of using the phone:

-The log in process sucks. For helpers, at least. I had helpers who were able to access the UPSers site using their ID number and password on their personal phone. But yet could not log in on the helper phone. This is the second peak season where I've had log in issues for my helpers. Once again, I had to log in to the helper phone using my ownoID and password. Worked fine then.

-On large bulk stops where you are not sure if you have all the pieces and must scan, the scanning process is just too slow on the phone. And the touch screen isn't responsive enough. Theres were times I'd tap the scan icon several times, and no response. They need to configure one of the volume buttons or another physical button to initiate the scan.

-Unable to override level 4 deliveries to DR.

On the last few days my helper and I encountered a few glitches.

-One was where he'd scan a package and it would have him select which address he was making service to out of two options. And it would have the exact same address as both options. It happened numerous times and basically slowed down the process of sheeting packages .

-The second glitch was he'd scan a package and select business. And the phone would still only give him the residential options (Front door, rear door, etc). We noticed this happened on shipper release packages. It was annoying and our only solution was to use the regular DIAD for those stops.

Pros of using the phone:

-You can get activities (get EDD) anywhere, not just at the building, simply by scanning any package in your manifest. This would come in handy for any rookie who accidentally leaves the building without downloading EDD.

-On stops with one package or smaller bulk stops, there is no need to scan. Simply verify that the barcodes match and tap the package icon to select the package to sheet it.

-The phone saves six names for CIR instead of just three for the DIAD.

-Ability to switch between RDO and ODO.

-Use of filters optimizes the delivery list. Sorting by RDO, distance, and delivery puts the stops in much better order on the phone.

Overall I still prefer the DIAD V, but I'm probably biased because I've been using it for my entire driving career. If they work out the glitches with the phone and speed up the phone's scanning process, it could be a worthy successor to the DIAD V.

One feature I'd like to see (unless it already exists and I didn't know where to find it). My helper and I had to take some stops off a other driver. We used XFER EDD for the DIAD. But I couldn't find an option to get activities for the phone for those stops. If they made it so you could scan a package from another manifest and get activities for another route it would be extremely helpful when you have a runner.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Used the phone for a day. Felt like a dweeb having customers sign with their finger. I hid it most of the time.
That is all I do. I went on vacation. Came back. The stylist was gone. Been having customers sign with their finger for almost 2 yrs now. We have those helper phones. Been sitting in the box for 3 yrs. Probably all not charged

DiadDude

My cons of using the phone:

-The log in process sucks. For helpers, at least. I had helpers who were able to access the UPSers site using their ID number and password on their personal phone. But yet could not log in on the helper phone. This is the second peak season where I've had log in issues for my helpers. Once again, I had to log in to the helper phone using my ownoID and password. Worked fine then.

-On large bulk stops where you are not sure if you have all the pieces and must scan, the scanning process is just too slow on the phone. And the touch screen isn't responsive enough. Theres were times I'd tap the scan icon several times, and no response. They need to configure one of the volume buttons or another physical button to initiate the scan.

-Unable to override level 4 deliveries to DR.

On the last few days my helper and I encountered a few glitches.

-One was where he'd scan a package and it would have him select which address he was making service to out of two options. And it would have the exact same address as both options. It happened numerous times and basically slowed down the process of sheeting packages .

-The second glitch was he'd scan a package and select business. And the phone would still only give him the residential options (Front door, rear door, etc). We noticed this happened on shipper release packages. It was annoying and our only solution was to use the regular DIAD for those stops.

Pros of using the phone:

-You can get activities (get EDD) anywhere, not just at the building, simply by scanning any package in your manifest. This would come in handy for any rookie who accidentally leaves the building without downloading EDD.

-On stops with one package or smaller bulk stops, there is no need to scan. Simply verify that the barcodes match and tap the package icon to select the package to sheet it.

-The phone saves six names for CIR instead of just three for the DIAD.

-Ability to switch between RDO and ODO.

-Use of filters optimizes the delivery list. Sorting by RDO, distance, and delivery puts the stops in much better order on the phone.

Overall I still prefer the DIAD V, but I'm probably biased because I've been using it for my entire driving career. If they work out the glitches with the phone and speed up the phone's scanning process, it could be a worthy successor to the DIAD V.

One feature I'd like to see (unless it already exists and I didn't know where to find it). My helper and I had to take some stops off a other driver. We used XFER EDD for the DIAD. But I couldn't find an option to get activities for the phone for those stops. If they made it so you could scan a package from another manifest and get activities for another route it would be extremely helpful when you have a runner.

Thanks for the great feedback Northbaypkg. Let me touch on each of your concerns so you know where things stand.

- Login.....It does suck. We're trying to come up with some other options, but security is security and we have to answer to some higher powers about what is allowed. DIAD will even require a login soon.

- Slow scan. First check to make sure the phone you're using has at least version 3.1.2. 3.5.6 is preferred. Sounds like you do based on some of your other comments, but anyone who has slow scanning should check that first. After that, is this just an issue with bulk? The phones aren't the most powerful things in the world, so I could possibly see bulk stops slowing them down. Being they are designed for helpers, the target stop size is pretty small.

- Level 4 deliveries. We are looking into this functionality, but honestly this should be fixed by your center team. If a stop is allowed to be DRed, why do they have it set as level 4?

- Select Address. This functionality is supposed to only be for NI1ADL package chase down. I can see a way that you would run into the issue you saw, and we will work to get that fixed.

-Shipper Release at Business. How do you deliver this in the DIAD? I assume that since it's a business, you're getting a signature. In the phone you can always get a signature, you just have to select "Customer Contact" on the release location screen and it will allow you to get a signature. If you are somehow delivering these in the DIAD as a release stop, I'd love to know how you're doing that.

- XFER EDD. The ability to get packages from another driver into the phone is coming soon. Should be available by mid 2019.

Glad you found some things you like about the phones. We value the feedback of real folks who actually use the device. Trust me when I say that the issues you brought up will be discussed soon and should be addressed before next peak.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got a helper this year that had some training with the phone, we used it a little bit on my route. I could get used to it, I just thought that it scanned a little bit slow compared to my DIAD. My PVD driver caught on to it quick, she drives for Uber and turned out to be a blessing. My golf cart helper finally got fired yesterday, she always had trouble logging in on hers and only had 15 minutes original training for that job. Another golf cart driver came and ran her route blind yesterday afternoon, he had it mastered and really knocked it out.
IMG_3749.JPG

DiadDude

I got a helper this year that had some training with the phone, we used it a little bit on my route. I could get used to it, I just thought that it scanned a little bit slow compared to my DIAD. My PVD driver caught on to it quick, she drives for Uber and turned out to be a blessing. My golf cart helper finally got fired yesterday, she always had trouble logging in on hers and only had 15 minutes original training for that job. Another golf cart driver came and ran her route blind yesterday afternoon, he had it mastered and really knocked it out.View attachment 227403

Glad you had some successes with the phone. As I said before, the software in the phone is the basis for your DIAD 6 application, so the more feedback we get now the better we can make it.