The only reason a helper ever needs a DIAD is to fend off a dog. Most helpers are boarder line retarded and can't comprehend how to use one. It's just as fast to scan the three bags and toss them to your helper so he can run them while you look for the next stop. Scanning takes 5 seconds at most.

This company wastes so much money

Managements philosophy on golf cart drivers.....let's pay 4 guys 8 hour days to deliver a total of 200 stops and rent someone's garage and golf carts instead of being one package car driver...

This isn't complicated. We don't need new software or diads or loading technique....we needs more boots on the ground. If you have a :censored2: ton of packages you need more people. Plain and simple.

Funny that you call helpers "boarder line retarded", when you can't even spell "borderline" correctly.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont even have a helper, but I did 96 stops today with a helper phone and only 6 stops with my DIAD. Yet the DIAD was down to 10% battery by 7:30.
In some ways the phone is actually better than the DIAD. Being able to capture a tracking number without having to scan it can come in handy sometimes. And when you have multiple Surepost packages for an address that has a lot of CPAD notes, its really nice to not have to grind through all the repetitive keystrokes and listen to the constant, non stop beeping. Just pull up the stop, touch the little box icon on the screen for each package, and you are done. The only real issue I have with it is that “gate” is not a location option for DR’s and you cant type anything in. So for those stops I use the DIAD.

Last edited:

Boulevard859710

Anyone else get the helper phones that they is as diads? Haha what a joke these things are...

Management "these phones are way easier to use"

First thing you need to do is have them create a upers account online. Takes forever. And doesn't work half the time.

Then they password protected the phones so they have to enter every time they open the phone.

The batteries die half way through the day.

They don't pull stops out if your board when they scan something with the phone.

Seeing the old guys with these things is priceless

I'll stick to (timecard) (helptime) (done).....how are these phones simpler? They could have saved money on the phones and just hired some more drivers. I would love to meet the dip:censored2: who came up with this idea.
Yep. I tried for two days. They're a piece of :censored2: like ORION.

35years

Gravy route
I like the old fashioned way. Drive to address, get packages out, scan them, deliver them. What a concept.
Old fashioned?
No scanning back in the day.

I wonder how many drivers could deliver a whole day on paper these days. No list, Orion or RDO to guide you. Just a bricked out ten cube with no idea which stops you have or how many packages for each stop. Hopefully you had a map book without the pages missing.

The good old days.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have to deal with this now, three Helpers. I still have not received any training on one so my On-car Helper phone goes unused. I'm sure they are simple to use but a little instruction with them would be nice.We tried it but the internet wouldn't connect. My PVD and golf Cart Helpers have problems with their phones cutting off.

fullsizeoutput_92b.jpeg

Last edited:

soberups

Old fashioned?
No scanning back in the day.

I wonder how many drivers could deliver a whole day on paper these days. No list, Orion or RDO to guide you. Just a bricked out ten cube with no idea which stops you have or how many packages for each stop. Hopefully you had a map book without the pages missing.

The good old days.
How about a bricked out 600 with a stick shift, high steps, wooden shelves, no light in the back and no power steering....

35years

Gravy route
How about a bricked out 600 with a stick shift, high steps, wooden shelves, no light in the back and no power steering....
Add to that no PAL labels or sequence numbers.
Now make sure you don't have missed business stops even though you have every shelf and most of the floor still full at 4:30 P.M. with no list.

soberups

Yep. I tried for two days. They're a piece of :censored2: like ORION.
I agree with you that ORION is crap, but I have been using the phone as a substitute for a DIAD for a week now and once you get used to it it is better than you might think.
Yes it has issues but they are mostly related to lack of information and training, and a cumbersome log-in procedure.
They should have printed a pamphlet and had a video we could watch to learn how to use them.
99% of what I have learned has been either thru trial and error, or communicating directly with @DiadDude on this forum to have questions answered. No one in my building knew anything about them.
And there needs to be a generic, default log in procedure with a password that is easy to remember and type in.
The company wanted to use upsers.com to generate the helper timecard and that is fine if they know and remember their password, but if not there also needs to be a quick and easy workaround so that the driver can get the thing up and running with no hassle. Like having an ID number 9999999 with password ABCD that would work anywhere anytime.

soberups

Add to that no PAL labels or sequence numbers.
Now make sure you don't have missed business stops even though you have every shelf and most of the floor still full at 4:30 P.M. with no list.
To be fair, though, the expectations have also changed to keep pace with the technology.
35 years ago, my route went out with 95 stops at peak. Today it does up to 135 or 140.
35 years ago we did not have package tracking or commit times on deliveries or pickups. There were no on demand pickups. There were no text messages from the office to answer.
Once you left the building you were truly on your own.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yes it has issues but they are mostly related to lack of information and training, and a cumbersome log-in procedure.
They should have printed a pamphlet and had a video we could watch to learn how to use them.
And there needs to be a generic, default log in procedure with a password that is easy to remember and type in.

This is my problem, total lack of training of any kind. Yesterday they started a new-hire on my golf cart route and my supervisor spent a total of 15 minutes with her. She started with 44 stops at noon, a light day. I got there at 6PM to get the phone and I found a pile of boxes in the pod. She couldn't work the phone and was manually entering each address. I sent her home and delivered a dozen stops myself.