Yozh69

I just qualified as an off-the-street hire. Depends on how desperate for drivers the building is. I chuckle every evening I punch out and put my board in the charging station and see that no one's signed the 22.4 bid posted in my center for 2 weeks now.
It does sound like she's being considered for one of these 22.4 positions as they told her the work week is Tues - Sat. What are the major differences between the 22.4 and a RPCD?

Whither

Scofflaw
It does sound like she's being considered for one of these 22.4 positions as they told her the work week is Tues - Sat. What are the major differences between the 22.4 and a RPCD?

The major differences are lower pay for the same job, no protections against unwanted OT, and the certainty of working the weekends since UPS will be a 7 day operation after peak this year. And, of course, it's a combo job -- which means inside work as well as driving, but most people here expect 22.4s will be driving almost exclusively, e.g., the position is part of a longer-term strategy to undermine the pay of RPCDs.

Tues-Sat doesn't necessarily mean they're ushering her into 22.4. Most of the newer RPCDs in my center are Tues-Sat.

Yozh69

The major differences are lower pay for the same job, no protections against unwanted OT, and the certainty of working the weekends since UPS will be a 7 day operation after peak this year. And, of course, it's a combo job -- which means inside work as well as driving, but most people here expect 22.4s will be driving almost exclusively, e.g., the position is part of a longer-term strategy to undermine the pay of RPCDs.

Tues-Sat doesn't necessarily mean they're ushering her into 22.4. Most of the newer RPCDs in my center are Tues-Sat.
They had her back in today to get her docs (CDL, Med card, etc). Set her up for a road test with a clutch on Monday. I think they even set her up with a school date for the EOM!

Box_Troll

Hi all..

Had a first interview with HR, and also a second with a supervisor at our Spokane airport UPS warehouse/hanger. Apparently they are gearing up to start training and employing people for a Sept 15th start date kicking off a massive expansion..

Both interviews went excellent, and feel that likely will get the job.. Which is part time loading/unloading, 4:00 am to 8:00 am. Sounds like it could be at least a couple weeks before I hear from HR though.. Then a training period so all us new hires know our jobs ahead of time for the Sept 15th expansion start date.

Feeling good about the job ! :wink2:

Yozh69

They had her back in today to get her docs (CDL, Med card, etc). Set her up for a road test with a clutch on Monday. I think they even set her up with a school date for the EOM!

Ok. Her road test is on Tuesday. Even though she knows how to drive a clutch she is leery about driving a package car. She's worried it's just to "weed" her out even though they said they have only three manuals in station. Told her to not worry about it and not hit anything :)

Yozh69

Thanks. I'm sure she'll know soon enough. They do seem to be moving very quickly to qualify her and bring her on-board.

Whither

Scofflaw
Thanks. I'm sure she'll know soon enough. They do seem to be moving very quickly to qualify her and bring her on-board.

Even if they're classifying her as a 22.4, once she qualifies and accrues enough seniority, she could win a bid and become an RPCD.

Yozh69

Just an update: She passed her road test Tuesday. She continued computer based training since. She got uniforms this morning and is going on a ride along this afternoon.

Jstpeachy

Hi all..

Had a first interview with HR, and also a second with a supervisor at our Spokane airport UPS warehouse/hanger. Apparently they are gearing up to start training and employing people for a Sept 15th start date kicking off a massive expansion..

Both interviews went excellent, and feel that likely will get the job.. Which is part time loading/unloading, 4:00 am to 8:00 am. Sounds like it could be at least a couple weeks before I hear from HR though.. Then a training period so all us new hires know our jobs ahead of time for the Sept 15th expansion start date.

Feeling good about the job ! :wink2:

Expect those hours to vary with preload shift, and don’t expect much “training”. You’ll learn most of the job from other loaders or asking Driver’s their preferences.

Good luck. Scroll this thread for tons of advice.

Okay so I have been working at UPS 2 months now. At first it was rough, I thought it has gotten better but it has gotten even worst.(especially with this supervisor I am working with always arguing, everything seem to be a problem, or maybe it is personal issues spilling over:whistling)
I have some good days, where I walk out of the facility feeling like I put in a good day's work. (Thanks to the light load days)

Now see the major issue is, I work as a preloader. My second day on the job I was given 4 trucks to loads.So I really do not know how to really load a truck properly. I tried my best but I always seem to have stacked boxes at the entrance of the cars and that seem to be a major sore eye. I find it impossible to scan every single package and load clean and not miss any work all at the time, especially with bulks and 4 trucks.
The guys with seniority get away with stacking all the time. They get a pass when they are missing works on the belt but as soon as one package barely pass my last truck. There is always a supervisor to call me out loud on it.
Next thing is I get tossed around, back and forth across the belt, every day. I never go into work and have the same set, and these loads carry bulks. Which makes me wonder If I am being sent to the heaviest set all the time. Anyways, since Ive been there for the last two months and a couple of weeks, I was sent home 5 times. This weeks is the most days I went to work and maybe like half way into work, someone shows up and I being sent home. I was sent home 4 times this week.
Now me and this supervisor had a mild clash. How did this happen? Well I just pulled off a bulk set of heavy boxes, he watched me from the back of the conveyor belt until the load coming on the belt got light. He walked up while I was still pulling off and asked aggressively 'why do you have stuff stacked out ? There is nothing coming down on the belt.' (mean while a guy across the belt, is stacked outside his set and actually resting) anyways I was like Yes but did you see the amount of stuff I just pulled off? Then he continued to yell, This is the reason why you are being sent home, you are the only one stacked out like this.(I thought I was sent home because of overstaffing)

One morning this said supervisor sent me home and while I was walking out, another preloader, asked 'Why is he sending you home? look at the work on the belt?' Next thing I know the supervisor sent home that preloader also.( seemed malicious to me)

People also be selfish like you need so selfish at UPS I got called on a few times to help other preloaders clean up their messy set. I get a sense of purpose just helping others so thats not a problem.(Teamwork makes the dream work) but when I need help I get none or if I do get help from a supervisor it seem like I am being help with a heavy heart(not all supervisors, just this particular one) but I do not need that type of help or energy.

Now I am here trying to get some feedback on my experiences. This job is taking a told on my self esteem. I mean my abs are coming back, lost a little weight and I am starting to get my body back:thumbup: I mean I do not have time for the gym. I work out best when I am not focused on actually working my body out.(If that mean sense)

I am really a humble, honest and easy to going type of guy. I can get along well with just about anyone. but I do not want to feel singled out, picked on. Ive never worked in an environment like UPS
I am starting to think, maybe this job is not for me. At first I was like, this is ideal, I live right across the street, very easy commute especially for the hrs but now I am like about to quit! even though I am almost there to make the union.
One guy was like when you make the union you can stop being nice. but I will always be nice. It is just my personality and where I am from we respect those in authority but at UPS its seem like :furious:cussing:angry: at everyone is the order of the day.
My friends are telling not to give up its a good job but I am like:confused:

Tell me, will it get better?
Can't lie to you and tell you it's going to get better.

Are you in the union yet?

Equie

No not yet close to making it though. Now see they expect me to get better and some guys do have it better and get help. It would be great if they didnt have this unrealistic expectation of me

Box_Troll

Okay so I have been working at UPS 2 months now. At first it was rough, I thought it has gotten better but it has gotten even worst.(especially with this supervisor I am working with always arguing, everything seem to be a problem, or maybe it is personal issues spilling over:whistling)
I have some good days, where I walk out of the facility feeling like I put in a good day's work. (Thanks to the light load days)

Sure hope I do not have similar experience as you .. I am actually a bit excited about starting. I have somewhat of an idea what the work may be like as I lumped moving trucks last year part time. Not for the light hearted.

Since I do not have hands on experience with UPS yet, I can not really comment or tell you it will get better for you.. But I sure wish you well..

What does "stacked out" mean ?

Equie

Sure hope I do not have similar experience as you .. I am actually a bit excited about starting. I have somewhat of an idea what the work may be like as I lumped moving trucks last year part time. Not for the light hearted.

Since I do not have hands on experience with UPS yet, I can not really comment or tell you it will get better for you.. But I sure wish you well..

What does "stacked out" mean ?
when the packages are place outside the truck usually about shoulder height.

Yozh69

Same here. Either they quit or have a fender bender and get DQ

It's going to be a bad peak.
What is the major reason why they quit?

Yeah, I post for information for my girlfriend who just got started at UPS but I do P&D for FXF and, hell, I wouldn't do what you guys do :) Just trying to make sure she succeeds.

What is the major reason why they quit?

Yeah, I post for information for my girlfriend who just got started at UPS but I do P&D for FXF and, hell, I wouldn't do what you guys do :) Just trying to make sure she succeeds.
They want too much and the younger generation isn't willing to put the time in.

No :censored2:ing work ethic at all. Give me everything right now. I worked 3 days, don't I deserve a sick dày or 3?