Dr.Brownz

Glad I'm in a small center and you guys in the cities get to try out UPS's latest great idea that is going to revolutionize package delivery!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hate management even more this time of year. Who the :censored2: cares what packages get scanned in what board or phone?!?! The job gets done and that's all these stupid :censored2:s need to worry about.

They push the "30 stops in the helper board" because they are supposed to be helper teams, not "you are my helper :censored2:".

I have mine trained to the point where he can deliver to a medical office complex with deliveries to multiple suite numbers. I should point out that this kid is dumb as a box of rocks so it truly isn't rocket science.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think the phone is easier. Way less buttons to press. You don’t have to scan. If you have the full manifest, just double tap the stop address, pkg(s) are listed, tap listed pkg(s) to release or get a sig. I know I know, I’m a heretic. Still tho ‍♂️

What if you are missing one or more for a particular stop?

Nike

We only got a couple here, just regular smart phones with the case thrown on. They probably need to design a device that has phone capabilities among other things, rather than just use a regular ole phone not rated for this type of work.

Probably would of helped to test these things you know not during our busiest time of year, what a stupid company we work for.

Foamer Pyle

The only reason a helper ever needs a DIAD is to fend off a dog. Most helpers are boarder line retarded and can't comprehend how to use one. It's just as fast to scan the three bags and toss them to your helper so he can run them while you look for the next stop. Scanning takes 5 seconds at most.

This company wastes so much money

Managements philosophy on golf cart drivers.....let's pay 4 guys 8 hour days to deliver a total of 200 stops and rent someone's garage and golf carts instead of being one package car driver...

This isn't complicated. We don't need new software or diads or loading technique....we needs more boots on the ground. If you have a :censored2: ton of packages you need more people. Plain and simple.
You forgot to mention the packages are handled more times. They throw all that crap in a budget truck, then it all gets dumped in the POD, and at the end of the day, someone still has to go by, and clean up the mess.

So... i used the phone today and it has me very concerned... ups is steps ahead of us.. (this is a conspiracy theory my mind goes wild out there at work lol) Those phones have Gps that shows exactly where the stop is like pin point and also stops that are near that stop. our contract is due next yr.. they are test running these phones on the helpers. so when we go on strike next year they can hire people off the street and they'll be able to somewhat do our jobs.. why do you think ups has been doing so much sketchy stuff lately? they dont fear the union anymore. idk about where you all our located and the environment but here in california they are breaking all kinds of rules on the contract with no regard at all. i advise everyone to start saving... its about to get real.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
So... i used the phone today and it has me very concerned... ups is steps ahead of us.. (this is a conspiracy theory my mind goes wild out there at work lol) Those phones have Gps that shows exactly where the stop is like pin point and also stops that are near that stop. our contract is due next yr.. they are test running these phones on the helpers. so when we go on strike next year they can hire people off the street and they'll be able to somewhat do our jobs.. why do you think ups has been doing so much sketchy stuff lately? they dont fear the union anymore. idk about where you all our located and the environment but here in california they are breaking all kinds of rules on the contract with no regard at all. i advise everyone to start saving... its about to get real.
yeah because every time UPS tries to make things easier for the employees it's just to prepare for the next strike that isn't going to happen

you got it all figured out
:rolleyes:

The Driver

I drive.
yeah because every time UPS tries to make things easier for the employees it's just to prepare for the next strike that isn't going to happen

you got it all figured out
:rolleyes:

Think about it from the company’s point of view. Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. As much as they try to convince us that we Teamsters are their friends and partners, at the end of the day we are not. We have competing goals On many important levels. Why would not the company prepare for the worst at all times?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Think about it from the company’s point of view. Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. As much as they try to convince us that we Teamsters are their friends and partners, at the end of the day we are not. We have competing goals On many important levels. Why would not the company prepare for the worst at all times?
you're not wrong about what you said, but that's not why the company is doing what it's doing right now

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I think the phone is easier. Way less buttons to press. You don’t have to scan. If you have the full manifest, just double tap the stop address, pkg(s) are listed, tap listed pkg(s) to release or get a sig. I know I know, I’m a heretic. Still tho ‍♂️

That sounds cumbersome, because I actually have to look at the screen. I operate the DIAD from muscle memory, and I don’t use the soft keys, I use that orange button thing instead. I have to use the POS phone for the 35 required stops a day with my helper’s ID and then I log it off. friend-ing thing sucks.

542thruNthru

This tech has been around for a while. UPS finally took advantage of it for PVDs. PVDs were used in select areas last year now they are pretty much nation wide so the phones have been distributed every where. I'm sure it helps that they are probably cheaper then DIAD boards also.

As to California I'm in 542 San Diego and they are not breaking the rules here. I have to say from what I've seen in union forums 951 has a lot of members fighting each other over union politics. Maybe the company has noticed that and is taking advantage of the inner fighting.

YUOVER95

Those phones are useless trying to scan in the dark. My helper had the hardest time trying to scan an Amazon bar code at night. I grabbed my ole trusty handy dandy DIAD IV, scanned the bar code on my first try with little to no light and shadows. Those cell phones become more of a burden when the sun goes down at 4:50 in the evening.