BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Again, I'm not trained to train them and it's not my job. Maybe instead of all the supervisors looking at reports and talking stupid useless crap on a conference call.... Maybe they could train them??

Crazy I know
They barely train new drivers with a diad. Why would they train seasonals?

dudebro

Again, I'm not trained to train them and it's not my job. Maybe instead of all the supervisors looking at reports and talking stupid useless crap on a conference call.... Maybe they could train them??

Crazy I know
We do train them. I did driver training too. I suppose you think I could run routes as well as you can, with just the training? Or would you imagine that nothing is the same as getting out in the real job. Sheeting a package in a classroom out of a book is one thing, sheeting a half ripped label in 15 degree weather with a finicky board is quite another. That's where our professional service providers could come in.

We do train them. I did driver training too. I suppose you think I could run routes as well as you can, with just the training? Or would you imagine that nothing is the same as getting out in the real job. Sheeting a package in a classroom out of a book is one thing, sheeting a half ripped label in 15 degree weather with a finicky board is quite another. That's where our professional service providers could come in.
We don't have tome to wait for a late helper, go over the rules of my car and train them on the DIAD

dudebro

I agree, but you also don't have time NOT to. The happiest drivers are usually the ones who invested a little time in getting the helper on board so they become a benefit during the worst of it.

Heavy Package

Helper Coordinator tried to get me to take one of these phones this week. I told her unless she can show me where my helper signed off on being trained then I'm not going to take it. She huffed and puffed like the Magic Dragon so I requested my pay differential for training if he needs to use it. Shut her the hell up and I dropped the phone on the desk and walked out.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Anyone else get the helper phones that they is as diads? Haha what a joke these things are...

Management "these phones are way easier to use"

First thing you need to do is have them create a upers account online. Takes forever. And doesn't work half the time.

Then they password protected the phones so they have to enter every time they open the phone.

The batteries die half way through the day.

They don't pull stops out if your board when they scan something with the phone.

Seeing the old guys with these things is priceless

I'll stick to (timecard) (helptime) (done).....how are these phones simpler? They could have saved money on the phones and just hired some more drivers. I would love to meet the dip:censored2: who came up with this idea.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
The Phones make the diad 3 look like cutting edge technology What a bunch of crap Great idea to give us something that will slow us down this time of year

dudebro

explain to me the benefit of having a helper use a phone on a rural route?

Where is my time being saved?
I would say you need some stop density to even benefit from a helper at all. If you're that rural that you're driving half a mile between stops, I don't see why you'd benefit from a helper period.

movinwork

So this is my first season with UPS as a helper and at first I despised the phone (as did my driver) Once we got the optimum settings down (RDO, sort by distance, etc) me using the phone has made our day more efficient, Thursday I stop-completed 170 of our 242 stops on the helper phone (mostly residential) You can get a signature with a finger instead of a stylus/pen. The only package I scan is the first one to "get activities" after that, you just click the tracking numbers as they are listed, click front door and stop-complete. When you have 5-6+ parcels at a stop it is much easier to click the tracking #s than scan each individual piece. I always double-check the address' before drop anyway but we have had no issues yet with packages dropped at wrong addresses.

The Driver

I drive.
So this is my first season with UPS as a helper and at first I despised the phone (as did my driver) Once we got the optimum settings down (RDO, sort by distance, etc) me using the phone has made our day more efficient, Thursday I stop-completed 170 of our 242 stops on the helper phone (mostly residential) You can get a signature with a finger instead of a stylus/pen. The only package I scan is the first one to "get activities" after that, you just click the tracking numbers as they are listed, click front door and stop-complete. When you have 5-6+ parcels at a stop it is much easier to click the tracking #s than scan each individual piece. I always double-check the address' before drop anyway but we have had no issues yet with packages dropped at wrong addresses.

My helper is fat. Are you?

BlackCat

I would say you need some stop density to even benefit from a helper at all. If you're that rural that you're driving half a mile between stops, I don't see why you'd benefit from a helper period.

I do not think you understand the underlying reason for having a "helper"

BlackCat

Can you sort?

BlackCat

If UPS really wanted to help improve helper productivity, forget the diad training (that I do anyways), teach these guys to sort the damn truck. 95% of my wasted time is looking for packages, not the 2 seconds it takes me to scan a package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center assigns a helper to just about every route------gives our rural drivers someone to talk to during the day but offers little advantage beyond that.