oldngray

nowhere special
My helper smelled like a farm animal yesterday.
z-funny-3.png

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
YAWN!!!

Took me less than 10 minutes to teach Evan how to sheet a resi.

Had him up to speed on sheeting a commercial stop by lunch on the first day.

This ain’t rocket science—-you guys are just lazy.

If a helper from NY is pointed to an internet forum where a driver named Dave says his helper named Evan is "dumb as a box of rocks" how would he word his complaint?

I doubt there are many helpers named Evan in NY and the odds of him working for a different Dave would be pretty low. I would hate to see your pending retirement derailed somehow by an internet posting. That is assuming what info is posted about your name and location is correct.

4evapreloader

How would calling a seasonal employee “dumb as a box of rocks” jeopardize my retirement?
It's not 1990 anymore.
Evan claims his feelings are hurt and his chances for future employment have been derailed by a defamatory internet posting. You are fired by UPS and have to wait until you are 65 to begin collecting your pension.

OrionsBitch

Not...
explain to me the benefit of having a helper use a phone on a rural route?

Where is my time being saved?
Don't you know time can't be saved by drive time. It's only saved by in car routine. According to management if you save 1s per stop that's like 15hrs a day. Also driving faster won't get you done earlier. Backing is also slower.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I will not train a helper on how to use a board until I know they are locked in with me. I've wasted too much time training other drivers' helpers. Then it's gradual so I'm not spending a lot of time at once explaining too many things for them to remember.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I will not train a helper on how to use a board until I know they are locked in with me. I've wasted too much time training other drivers' helpers. Then it's gradual so I'm not spending a lot of time at once explaining too many things for them to remember.
Exactly! I have had 6 different helpers this year!

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
How would calling a seasonal employee “dumb as a box of rocks” jeopardize my retirement?

Your identity is not a secret and therefore neither is your helper’s. Anybody you work with can easily find out that you said this about him should they come across this site.

If the company fires you, you deserve it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

Maybe reading that makes him angry and he starts telling your boss stories... possibly true stories for all we know.

I don't know your age and years in, but I think it could cause a person issues if they weren't eligible for health insurance because they got canned before their time was in.

youve-ever_c_782653.jpg

The Driver

I drive.
I am training them to be part of a helper team, not a go-fer.

One of the helpers that I trained just recently became a FT seniority driver thanks in no small part to my efforts during those first few days on road.

I don't know, man. I train them to be part of the team, too, but our definitions are different. Their part is to walk and drop to the right location and know how to read a service label, mine is to drive, sort, scan, and direct. Not investing time trying to teach a vegetable how to fruit.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I always wondered why they make us take a helper board when they know we won't use it. and IF it is used then it's still the driver doing the required stops in the board and not the helper. They just must like lying to themselves.

The #1 reason helpers have a helper board is because drivers were too lazy to turn in the timecard sheets.
Helpers were getting screwed out of hours in their paycheck and UPS had to find a smarter way to prove that they worked that day.

The second reason is for efficiency but even I just put the required stops in and shelved it.
I didn't sit there smoking a cig while the helper runs like a rabbit.
In my part time years, I volunteered to help one day and got screwed by a lazy driver.
I remembered it when I became a FT driver and would always take care of my help.