purehavanne

I used to set the truck up, skip lunches, run/jog ect. Then I realized no matter how much you run&gun, it's a thankless pursuit. At least at my center. These people will find something to bitchh at you about regardless.

So why am I doing them a favor by making their numbers look good and fast tracking them for promotion at my body's expense?

I chill in my car everyday and walk in 1 minute before pcm.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
According to the logic here every runner in the company has been fired for running over people and bad drs or are gone because they are completely crippled or in management . Make up your mind bozos

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2017-9-2_10-52-19-png.153800

JL 0513

That idiot driver really think that a property like that wouldn't have surveillance? Meh, it's only a $100K job, who needs it.

rod

Retired 22 years
That idiot driver really think that a property like that wouldn't have surveillance? Meh, it's only a $100K job, who needs it.

But management has been riding his butt all week about why is it taking him so long and he needs to step it up.

JL 0513

But management has been riding his butt all week about why is it taking him so long and he needs to step it up.

Yup, and this is exactly the s#!/ you get.

As I cover driver you should hear all the stories I get from customers complaining about the "regular" guy. Mostly commercial customers. Stuff like "he just throws (literally throws) the boxes [on the dock]". Or from post offices, wow, I'm not used to this neatness (I stack them in the bins like a Tetris game), the other guy just throws them in and we need twice the bins, thanks for doing this!". All the short cuts guys make is troubling.

Then there's all the personal stuff. I always have a nice demeanor towards customers, and get comments all the time about how awful the regular guy is. "Always grumpy", "complaining", etc.

It's a shame really. We're well paid to offer a service and there's so many guys that don't offer it.

Yup, and this is exactly the s#!/ you get.

As I cover driver you should hear all the stories I get from customers complaining about the "regular" guy. Mostly commercial customers. Stuff like "he just throws (literally throws) the boxes [on the dock]". Or from post offices, wow, I'm not used to this neatness (I stack them in the bins like a Tetris game), the other guy just throws them in and we need twice the bins, thanks for doing this!". All the short cuts guys make is troubling.

Then there's all the personal stuff. I always have a nice demeanor towards customers, and get comments all the time about how awful the regular guy is. "Always grumpy", "complaining", etc.

It's a shame really. We're well paid to offer a service and there's so many guys that don't offer it.
I have also heard the same thing about the regular driver. Have also heard about how the regular driver can do nothing wrong compared to the cover driver doing everything wrong and called in on. Sometimes you can not win.

35years

Gravy route
What kills me is the runners claiming they do it for more time with their family.
We all know how UPS works. If you run they give you more stops.
So now you are working the same hours, but with more work. And they will add even more.
More likely the runner has a needy personality...he has to look like the best, and is afraid of discipline.

I work less hours than any runner in my center.

Who are they more likely to give more work...
1 Runner gunner, 18 stops an hour, no 9.5 grievances, will burn off extra stops.
2 Methods driver, 13 stops an hour, 9.5 list, recognizes fatigue so he does less stops per hour on long days.

Runners work more hours.

Last edited:

Heavy Package

The only way to "win" at UPS is to maximize your benefits, save for retirement, and retire ON YOUR TERMS with your health intact. It's not like you're going to get a big "atta boy" on the way out of this hell hole.

Dr.Brownz

The only way to "win" at UPS is to maximize your benefits, save for retirement, and retire ON YOUR TERMS with your health intact. It's not like you're going to get a big "atta boy" on the way out of this hell hole.

Yes sir, they dont care. The last 3 drivers to retire here were scheduled to work their last day and instead of giving them a normal day, they blew out their trucks to the point where the last guy just said :censored2: it and walked out.

Dhydratd

...recognizes fatigue so he does less stops per hour on long days.
This is me!!! UPS :censored2:s me by over-dispatching, I just slow the :censored2: down. I'm old, damnit! Long days wear me out! When UPS forced me to work 6 day/week last peak, I just slowed-down and gave them 5 days of work in a 6 day period. They didn't get more work out of me, they just paid me more to do the same amount of work.
One of my managers once told me to work smarter, not harder. I'd like to think I'm working "as instructed".